• City workers found the student unconscious on the pavement 
  • The student was taken to hospital, where he was pronounced dead
  • The police found no indication of criminal activity

A 20-year-old university student in New York reportedly froze to death after being exposed to subzero temperatures for a prolonged time.

Tyler Lopresti-Castro was found lying unconscious on the pavement near a bus garage close to I-88 by Oneonta city employees around 6.50 am on Jan. 27. Authorities were able to identify Castro using his State University of New York (SUNY) Oneonta student ID. He was last seen after midnight Thursday.

First responders were called to the scene, who then administered life-saving measures. Castro was transported to AO Fox Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

According to the police, Castro had been "suffering from extended exposure to extremely cold, subzero temperatures." The temperature on the day dropped from -10 at 2 a.m to -14 at 6:50 a.m., the New York Post reported.

The police said a security camera at the garage captured Castro emerging from the wooded area behind the building shortly after 2 a.m.

"A search of the surrounding area indicates Tyler may have walked off the roadway at the eastbound off-ramp for I-88 at the intersection of Route 205, climbing through the snow and crossing a drainage creek before emerging on Oneonta City property," Oneonta Police Department said in a statement on Facebook.

The police are investigating the death, but have found no indication of criminal activity.

SUNY Oneonta shared Castro was studying accounting. Students had just returned for class for the first time this semester when the tragic incident happened.

"Our campus community is mourning the loss of one of our own, and we are focused on providing support to the student’s family and friends," university officials said in a statement, News10 reported. "Our hearts go out to them, and we are providing whatever assistance we can to help them during this difficult time."

The police are asking for the public’s help to determine where Castro was between midnight and 2 am.

Last week, four Indian nationals, including an infant, froze to death while trying to cross the border between the United States and Canada. Border agents found the family 39 feet away from the U.S. border. Authorities with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said the family died "due to exposure to the cold weather."

Representation. Pixabay