McDonald’s (MCD), Burger King, Tim Hortons, and Popeyes are gearing up to start reopening their dining rooms amid the coronavirus pandemic with a series of new protocols that will change the way Americans dine going forward.

Restaurant Brands International (QSR), the parent company of Burger King, Tim Hortons, and Popeyes, has 15,000 restaurants across North America and is now ready to enter the next phase of its COVID-19 recovery plan.

“In times of crisis, you rely heavily on what you believe in,” Jose Cil, CEO at RBI, said in a statement. “We believe in the power of creativity and diversity of perspectives. This means finding ways to do things differently to make them better. And that a wide range of voices and perspectives makes us stronger. Both have been proudly on display during these past weeks.”

The company had previously provided drive-thru, delivery, and mobile ordering during the coronavirus pandemic, but had closed its dining rooms in March as stay-at-home orders prevented restaurants from offering dine-in services.

RBI said it will begin reopening its dining rooms as local and state guidance allows, taking what it learned in China as it reopened its restaurants in the country.

Employees at RBI’s restaurants will now be required to wear masks and gloves. Acrylic shields and contactless service will be the new norm along with social distancing rules in dining areas. Some tables will be open, and others will be closed off for safe distancing measures.

Customers will also see more sanitization and hand sanitizer stations. The self-serve soda fountains will be gone, and extra condiments, trays, and beverages will now come from behind the front counter.

“We are working very hard to continue to build your confidence in the measures we are taking to keep you safe in our restaurants – so you can more quickly return to a sense of comfort and normalcy in bringing your family inside to sit down for a meal,” Cil added.

McDonald’s has also enacted its COVID-19 plan to begin reopening its 14,000 restaurant dining rooms across the U.S. The company said it has introduced 50 process changes in its restaurants. The safety measures include wellness checks, social distancing reminders, protective barriers when ordering, and masks and gloves for workers.

Some seating will be closed off in dining rooms to promote social distancing, and more cleaning and sanitation will take place for tables and other high-touch surfaces. Masks will also be given to customers in areas where they are required, and all Play Places will be closed. McDonald’s also said it will also modify its beverage procedures to minimize contact.

“As our daily routines continue to evolve, we remain committed to safely serving you and our local neighborhoods around the country,” Joe Erlinger, president McDonald’s USA, said in a statement. “We look forward to welcoming you back into our dining rooms, when the timing is right and with these extra precautions in place.”

Shares of McDonald's stock were down 2.04% as of market close on Wednesday while shares of Restaurant Brands International were dwon 4.33% at the same time. 

McDonald's Happy Meal A photo illustration of a Happy Meal at McDonald's. Photo: David Paul Morris/Getty Images