Riot police secure the blast scene in Istanbul, Turkey, Dec. 1, 2015. Five people were injured when a pipe bomb exploded on an overpass near an Istanbul metro station on Tuesday, the district mayor told A Haber television. Atilla Aydiner, the mayor of the Bayrampasa district on the European side of the city, was speaking on live television after the explosion hit the industrial and residential area near the height of evening rush hour. Reuters/Osman Orsal

UPDATE: 3:20 p.m. EST – An explosion near a metro station in Istanbul Tuesday resulted in injuries and disrupted traffic in a city that has been on edge following terrorist attacks that have killed over 130 people in other parts of the country in recent months.

“We are thankful that there was no loss of life,” said Istanbul Gov. Vasip Sahin, the Associated Press reported. Initial reports had incorrectly reported that one person had been killed in the explosion.

No group has taken responsibility for the explosion that took place on a busy road during rush hour traffic. Several vehicles were damaged by the blast.

Turkish officials sent riot police to secure the site in the event of a second blast.

UPDATE: 12:30 p.m. EST – The mayor of Istanbul's Bayrampasa district, Atilla Aydiner, said a bomb was left on an overpass causing an explosion near the city's main metro station, the Associated Press reported. Local media have reported that the bomb was a homemade pipe bomb. Officials have not confirmed these reports.

While the cause of the attack remains unknown, Turkey has been hit by terrorist attacks in recent months. The Islamic State group, also known as ISIS, launched attacks near the border with Syria in July and in the capital of Ankara in October. The attacks killed 130 people. Fighting between Kurdish rebel groups and the government also increased over the summer.

UPDATE: 11:50 a.m. EST – The mayor of Istanbul’s Bayrampasa district told local media that a metro explosion was caused by a pipe bomb, Bloomberg reported. Local media reported that bomb disposal units had been sent to the area. All metro services have been halted.

Earlier reports of one death have now been contradicted with Istanbul Gov. Vasip Sahin saying that at least one person was injured. Other reports said as many as five people were injured.

UPDATE: 11:37 a.m. EST – Istanbul’s Gov. Vasip Sahin told the Associated Press that the cause of a metro explosion was still unknown. “We are assessing every possibility," he said.

Original Story:

One person has died in an explosion in the Istanbul subway Tuesday, Reuters reported. Local news media reported the explosion was due to a power transformer.

The explosion triggered traffic across the Turkish capital with an official telling Reuters that trains have been suspended at the Bayrampasa metro station. The Associated Press reported that the entire subway network had been closed in the capital city.

Turkey's state-run media service reported that the explosion took place on an overpass and not in the subway station, CNBC reported.

Local media said ambulances were rushing to the scene of the explosion. Social media posts showed people walking on railway tracks.