This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

UPDATE: 9:02 a.m. EST — New reports said the suspect in Monday’s explosion in New York City was wearing the explosive device. It remained unclear whether it was a backpack or explosive vest of some sort, though it appeared it was not a pipe bomb as previously reported.

It appeared the suspect was being held at Bellevue Hospital. His condition was unknown.

UPDATE: 8:42 a.m. EST — New York City Police confirmed a male suspect was in custody following Monday’s explosion near the Port Authority Bus Station. The suspect was the only one with injuries, officials said.

Commuters were urged to avoid the area.

UPDATE: 8:18 a.m. EST — The Port Authority for New York and New Jersey wrote on Twitter: “The Port Authority Bus Terminal is open. Due to police activity, the entrance to the subway at the Port Authority Bus Terminal on Eighth Avenue is closed.”

Eyewitness Francisco Ramirez told CNN that he heard two explosions as he was exiting a bus about 7:45 a.m. EST.
"From what I saw it sounded like it came from the subway, but I'm just guessing," he said. "It was two distinct explosions seconds from each other. As I was making my way toward the outside, I kept getting shoved by cops and there were cops at every entrance blocking and there was police and SWAT everywhere.”
"It was scary. It was just a lot of chaos but I didn't see any injuries," he added.

Original story:

Reports surfaced early Monday of a large explosion at the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan, New York. Swat team reportedly arrived at the scene and emergency personnel are also responding.

According to ABC News, police sources said a pipe bomb detonated in passageway below ground near the bus terminal which handles an average 250,000 passengers a day.

New York Police Department Sgt. Brendan Ryan said they are responding to reports of a possible explosion at the terminal at 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue. The A, C and E subway lines are being evacuated, Ryan added.

NYC's official emergency notification said on Twitter that a police activity was taking place in the area, urging commuters to take alternate routes.

One woman wrote on Twitter: "Just was stuck in a running stampede at port authority bus terminal due to bomb scare." She added: "Cops EVERYWHERE."

One suspect with a possible device was taken into custody. Details about the man remain unclear. Reports said that New York Mayor Bill de Blasio has been briefed on the incident.

The is a developing story.