KEY POINTS

  • Tyson vs. Holyfield not happening
  • Ortiz claims he was offered to face Tyson
  • Tyson opponent to be known this week

It appears Mike Tyson's list of possible opponents continues to grow and is not limited to certified boxers. The former heavyweight boxing champion previously said that he would only face full-pledged boxers if he were to return to the ring. Evander Holyfield makes sense, but it appears there is a new player in the mix -- Tito Ortiz.

In a report from TMZ Sports, the 45-year-old mixed martial artist claimed that he was offered to fight Tyson. He did not detail who made the offer, although it is reportedly someone connected to the 53-year-old former professional boxer. Ortiz alleged that he got a phone call as he was watching Tyson's training videos which have going viral. The UFC Hall of Famer said he is down to face Iron Mike, stating that it would be a big opportunity for him. Better yet, he feels he has a good chance against the former heavyweight champion.

"Has Tyson been punched in the face in the last 15 years? No, he hasn't. And I have and I've been able to subdue everyone I've competed against over the past four years," Ortiz said.

For his part, boxing has been part of Ortiz's training in the past 20 years. It was part of his mixed martial arts training and he believes he holds an edge over Tyson. Ortiz last saw action in the MMA scene. Ortiz faced Albert El Patron (Alberto Del Rio) at Combate Americas 51: Tito vs. Alberto on Dec. 7 last year. He won handily over the former WWE wrestler via rear-naked choke submission. Before that, he also won over Chuck Lidell and Chael Sonnen.

Ortiz believes that if it gets done, the clash could generate big revenue. He believes it can double the numbers that the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor clash. Tyson appears to be open to the idea for as long as it is for charity. But like other rumored Mike Tyson fights, this remains unofficial.

Most expected that it will be Holyfield who Tyson will face next. But in an interview with Lil Wayne on the "Young Money Radio" show, the 53-year-old revealed that it won't be his old boxing rival. He did not get into detail but said a contract would be done soon.

“We’re in calls, we’re doing business with guys right now. You’re not going to believe the names when the names come out. Sometime this week we’ll have the contract done," Tyson said. 

Mike Tyson Pictured: Former boxer Mike Tyson attends the super welterweight boxing match between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, Aug. 26, 2017. Photo: Christian Petersen/Getty Images