It has been a long journey for Tiger Woods.

In one of the greatest career comebacks in sports history, Woods on Sunday completed his arduous road to redemption for a 15th major. Trailing for much of the final round at Augusta National, he captured his fifth Masters win and his first major title since 2008.

Woods, who had believed he might never play golf again after serious back problems, lifted both his fists in the air and continued to pump them long after sinking a short putt on the 18th hole.

After his exultation, Woods hugged his son and then embraced his mother and then his daughter and then his girlfriend Erica Herman.

The spectators would chant "Tiger."

There was so much to take in. It was Woods' first major win after trailing when entering the final round. The victory was also the largest gap between Masters wins, with Gary Player previously holding the record of 13 years between titles.

Jack Nicklaus sent a message to CBS Sports: "A big 'well done' from me to Tiger. I am so happy for him and for the game of golf. This is just fantastic."

Woods, who at 43 years old is the oldest Masters champion since Nicklaus won in 1986, remains second behind Nicklaus' 18 majors with 15.

The mood Sunday felt similar to Nicklaus' momentous Masters victory in 1986.

"It is overwhelming," Woods said, admitting he was a lost for words. "Just because of what's transpired."

Woods had overcome serious back injuries and personal issues in recent years. He had four back surgeries as well as a bout with prescription drugs in 2017. There had been serious speculation that Woods' career was over.

But Woods slowly began to regain his form in 2018 and all signs pointed to a big turnaround. Entering the Masters, Woods was listed among the favorites.

He trailed by two shots in the final round to Francesco Molinari of Italy. Woods finished the Masters at 13 under par, one stroke ahead of Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson and Xander Schauffele and after Molinari faded in the back nine.

It wasn't until he birdied on the 15th hole that Woods could claim his first outright lead. After teeing off on the 16th tee, he could be seen mouthing the words "come on baby" at least four times as his shot landed four feet within the hole.

On the 18th, he could have closed out the Masters with a deep putt but settled for a two-foot bogey.

Under sporadically wet conditions in Augusta, Woods' would claim first major championship since the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines. It also ended the fifth-longest major drought.

"This has meant so much to me and my family, this tournament, and to have everyone here, it's something I'll never, ever forget," Woods said.