AAPL: Apple Stock's Marginal Loss Tests Nokia, Motorola, Samsung Phone Launches; Sept.12 Event Looks Promising With iPhone 5 ReleaseApple (AAPL) stock closed Sept.5 at $670.23 losing 4.74 points ending 0.70% lower than the previous close. The marginal fall indicates that Apple is not heavily impacted by the new phone launches from competitors Nokia, Motorola and Samsung.
Apple iPhone 5 May Be Called 'New iPhone,' If Alleged Packaging Box Features Are To Be Believed [RUMORS]For more than a year, most Apple fans and followers of the brand have called the company's sixth-generation smartphone "the iPhone 5." But after releasing the new iPad in March - not the iPad 3, or the iPad HD - it looks like Apple will once again release a new iOS device without a distinguishing name or number. A newly-released photo shows a woman holding the iPhone 5 packaging box, but the label very clearly reads, "The new iPhone."
Nokia’s Windows Phone 8 Release Features NFC, Wireless Charging And More, Will It Compare To The iPhone 5 And Samsung Galaxy S3?Nokia and Microsoft held a joint press conference on Sept. 5 in New York to officially unveil new Windows Phone 8 devices. Nokia announced its flagship smartphone known as the Lumia 920, which has received some noticeable upgrades in the specs department.
- On the heels of a positive first quarter, the Western European mobile phone market failed to maintain a positive trend, due to a weaker economic environment and the new product launches expected in the third quarter, said a new report by market research firm IDC. The total shipments of devices dropped 1.9 percent year on year to 42.1 million units.
- Asian stock market declined Wednesday as weak economic reports from U.S. and China weighed on the sentiment. Concerns over global economic downturn resurfaced after the Institute for Supply Management (ISM) said that U.S. factory activity contracted for the third straight month in August
- Turning long-running speculations into fact, Apple sent out invitations Tuesday, confirming a special media event related to the next iPhone, aka "iPhone 5," in San Francisco on Sept. 12. The event is scheduled to take place at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts at 10 am PT.
- Sales of the Galaxy S3 from Samsung Electronics (Seoul: 005930)in August surpassed those for the I Phone 4S in the U.S. for the first time, said analyst T. Michael Walkley, of Cannacord Genuity.
- Ailing Finnish smartphone maker Nokia Oyj (NYSE: NOK) is betting the company that two new Lumia smartphones based on the new Windows 8 OS from Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), the world's biggest software company, will be international hits.
- The new iPhone 5 features a nano SIM card that has shipped to wireless provider T-Mobile prior to the phone's release date.
- UK phone network Orange and Barclaycard announced Monday that the Samsung Galaxy S3 will be the first Android smartphone to feature Quick Tap contactless mobile payment technology starting Wednesday, Sept. 5.
- Asian markets remained in a tight range Tuesday as investors were waiting for the outcome of meetings among the policymakers in the euro zone which is expected to announce measures to tackle the debt crisis affecting the region.
- In July Microsoft fans got a glimpse of some back up options set to come with Windows Phone 8 when the SDK leaked, but until now there was no indication of how the options would work. But now, sources close to Microsoft have revealed more information about its plans for Windows Phone 8, reports The Verge.
- Samsung has just officially announced it's Galaxy Note 2 just before IFA began in Berlin in Friday, and the Korea-based manufacturer has already showcased a line of accessories for the device.
- Labor Day 2012 is finally here, marking the end of summer and bringing in the autumn season. The national holiday is a time for a lazy break from work, a final summer barbeque and major retail sales.
- The South Korean tech giant was highly expected to release its own cloud service, the "S Cloud," alongside Galaxy S3 in May, but it didn't happen. However, it appears that the company is now set to unveil the service with Galaxy Note 2 as a hands-on video from German site BestBoyZ showed S Cloud in the device's settings menu.
- Samsung is going to release Galaxy Victory 4G LTE, a mid-ranged Android smartphone that would be powered by a Qualcomm S4 processor, according to a report.
- Samsung Electronics (005930) appears to be taking stock of things after the California jury ordered the South Korean giant to pay $1.05 billion in damages to Apple (AAPL) for violating patents pertaining to iPhone and iPad.