An 8-year-old boy has died after allegedly getting electrocuted while playing inside the premises of a luxury resort in Fiji.

The tragic incident took place Thursday while the boy was staying at the Wyndham Destinations Asia Pacific, an Island Resort on the west coast of Fiji's main island, with his parents. The deceased, originally from New Zealand, was currently based in Sydney, Australia, Sydney Morning Herald reported.

The child, identified as Cairo Winitana, was found motionless in a flower garden in the hotel. He was playing with frogs when he came into contact with a bolt charged with live current coming from the ground it was screwed into, according to Daily Telegraph.

A tourist recounted the horror of seeing the child lying face down as he passed through the garden. "As we were walking through the gardens we just saw this boy face down in the garden," he told the outlet.

Fiji police told the outlet that whether or not his death occurred due to electrocution is yet to be ascertained. "Initial information gathered is that the child was allegedly electrocuted however the post-mortem will have to confirm that," a Fiji police spokesperson told the news outlet.

The resort is reportedly assisting the police with the investigation.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of this young life and offer our sincerest condolences to the family. Our thoughts remain with them during this difficult time," a spokesperson for Wyndham Destinations Asia Pacific said, as per

The New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) said it was notified about the child's death. "We are aware of the death of a child in Denarau and are providing assistance to the family," an MFAT spokesperson told the outlet. "For privacy reasons, no further details will be provided."

In a heartfelt tribute to her son, the boy's mother said that she will "love him forever and more" no matter if he is gone. "I loved you my son from the moment I found out I was carrying you and will love you forever more," she noted further.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for the boy as his family is preparing to bring his body back to Australia.

"As you could all imagine this is a very devastating loss for our family," the page read, according to BBC News.

Boy electrocuted to death
Boy electrocuted to death while playing inside resort. Pixabay