A partial curfew has been put in place in Milwaukee as police investigate three shootings that left 21 people injured on Friday night near the site of the Milwaukee Bucks' game against the Boston Celtics.

The shootings took place downtown near the entertainment district. The Deer District, which features restaurants and bars, was filled with large crowds as people gathered to watch Game 6 of the NBA Eastern Conference semifinals.

The first shooting took place around 9:10 p.m. local time and resulted in two people, a 30-year-old man and a 16-year-old girl, being transported to the hospital. A third victim also received medical attention. Police took a 29-year-old man into custody and recovered a gun.

The second shooting occurred more than an hour later and a 20-year-old man was injured. The third shooting occurred around 11:09 p.m. and left 17 people with injuries, according to Milwaukee Police Department Assistant Chief Nicole Waldner. Among the 10 people police took into custody, five were injured. Officers also recovered 10 guns from the shooting.

Milwaukee Mayor Cavalier Johnson issued a partial curfew affecting those under the age of 21 in an emergency order for Saturday and Sunday night from 11 p.m. until 5:30 a.m.

The curfew will affect the downtown entertainment district and violators could face fines or have their vehicles towed.

“To those who were injured last night, I am hoping for a prompt and speedy recovery,” Johnson said. “You came down to enjoy yourself, to have a good time in our city, and people should be able to do that downtown or anywhere else in Milwaukee, and I want that to continue happening.”

The Milwaukee Bucks released a statement Saturday addressing the shootings and announced the cancellation of a scheduled watch party when the Bucks visit the Boston Celtics in the seventh and deciding game of their playoff series Sunday at 2:30 p.m. local time.

“The shootings that happened in downtown Milwaukee last night were horrific and we condemn this devastating violence. We are grateful to local law enforcement for its valiant efforts to try to contain what was a dangerous and fluid situation. While these incidents took place outside of Deer District property, it clearly resonated with fans coming out of the arena and leaving the plaza. Security, health, and welfare are always our top priorities for our guests and employees, and we appreciate the hard work of our security team to keep our fans safe.

In order to allow law enforcement to devote needed resources to the continued investigation of last night’s events, we have decided to cancel tomorrow’s planned watch party on the plaza, Deer District businesses will remain open as usual. We continue to work with the Milwaukee Police Department and other public safety partners to provide a safe and welcoming environment for our fans. We plan to have further details soon.”

Milwaukee Curfew Still In Affect
Two police officers stand near the remains of a gas station August 15, 2016 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, after police in the Midwestern city faced off with protesters August 13 and 14 following the death of 23-year-old Sylville Smith, who officials say was armed. CENGIZ YAR/AFP/Getty Images

© Copyright IBTimes 2022. All rights reserved.