• Thompson was held against a $40,000 bond
  • "We were having a nice quiet dinner and we were attacked," the victim's cousin said
  • The victim has been discharged from the hospital

The family of the woman, who was accused of stabbing a person at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in New York City, has claimed she acted in self defense.

Nearly a day after her arrest, Thompson's father, Carlos Stapleton, told a Manhattan court, "This is not even her fault."

Thompson allegedly stabbed another customer at the posh restaurant with a steak knife after a brawl broke out. The 24-year-old man's lung was punctured in the incident, the New York Post reported, citing prosecutors.

Thompson, 41, was at the steakhouse with a cousin at the time. She reportedly fled the scene, but was later located by law enforcement officers. She was then held against a $40,000 bond, which her family later called "unfair."

"My daughter spoke to me about what took place, that she was in a restaurant eating, and people started an argument with them," Thompson's father told the New York Post.

"The man came over, held my daughter down and then the man's wife was going to smack my daughter in the face. Now, what is my daughter supposed to do? Lay there?" he asked, while describing the incident. Stapleton said he gathered the information from her daughter.

Thompson's cousin, who was also present at the Manhattan steakhouse, made similar claims.

"We were attacked," the cousin told the New York Post. "We were having a nice quiet dinner and we were attacked. It is unfair."

A cellphone video of the incident was also recorded, which was later obtained by the prosecutors. The video showed Thomspon standing on a chair, while holding a knife. Thompson later admitted she was the woman in the video; however, she said she does not recollect the actual stabbing.

Thompson has been charged with assault and menacing. Prosecutors said the charges may be amplified based on the medical condition of the victim. The accused has no prior criminal record, the outlet reported.

Prosecutors told New York Daily News the unidentified victim has been released from the New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell after undergoing surgery. "I am feeling great," the victim told the New York Post in an interview.

Representation. An NYPD car. Pixabay