In a horrific incident, a pet dog died after being "eaten alive" by maggots in Clondalkin, a town near Dublin city center in Ireland. The female Shih Tzu was reportedly found around a housing estate in the Lisdisfarne area.

The Dublin Society for Prevention of Cruetly to Animals (DSPCA) received a call that said the young dog collapsed. The dog was in terrible condition when an inspector arrived to collect her. When a veterinary team examined her, they found she was infested with fly maggots that had caused horrific wounds, local media the Dublin Live reported.

The veterinarian said some of the wounds on the dog were fresh while others were so bad that the flesh was rotting. Despite efforts, the pup succumbed to her injuries and died Sunday. Details about where the dog had come from remained unclear. There was also no trace of its owner and the canine was likely abandoned. However, there was no confirmation as of Monday.

DSPCA Chief Inspector Liam Kinsella has described the condition of the dog as "utterly horrific."

"A Shih Tzu is a family pet and should be treated as one but instead this little dog was subjected to filth and dirt with probably no washing or brushing of her coat since she was a pup," Kinsella said. "This dog suffered immense pain as she was practically eaten alive by fly maggots and had open infected wounds under a filthy severely matted coat."

The DSPCA urged anyone with information regarding the dog to contact the inspectors' line on 01 4994727 or email cruelty@dspca.ie.

Woman carries pet dog An owner and her dog of the breed Lagotto Romagnolo. Photo: Getty Images/Jens Schlueter