Working Telephone Number (WTN)
A numbering plan telephone number or a dialing protocol developed to place or receive a call through a public network.
How Working Telephone Number Works
A telephone number is in the form of an address through which you exchange telephone calls through a destination code that routes directly to the other telephone number. A caller will dial a telephone number on the telephone device, and then it will be transmitted through a sequence of digits to the number you signal or connect to. The exchange or connection is complete when the other subscriber or the called receives the signaling and connects. It can be transmitted either locally or internationally.
The telephone number is like an identification number of each subscriber to which another party can reach them. The service providers assign numbers to subscribers within the scope of a national or regional telephone numbering plan. It is what makes the number designated for each subscriber to be unique and different. The telephone service operators oversee the assigning of the number to subscribers.
Real-World Example of Working Telephone Number
Telephone numbers worldwide are unique and different from each other according to country, state, and region. There is a unique area dialing code attached with the main number to transmit from the calling party to the called party for each country. For instance, in the U.S., telephone numbers are made up of 10 digits (e.g., 4680231945), and the country code is +1 for the United States and Canada, while the code for south and central America is +5. While for the U.K., the national number is also ten digits with country code +44.
The telephone number has many uses depending on where and how you want to channel its use. But one sure thing is that it serves diverse purposes for subscribers.
- You can use it to connect with your loved ones who are not close by.
- Through telephone numbers, your customers or clients can reach you for business.
- With your telephone number, you can reach out to different agencies in times of emergency.
- The telephone number will assist you in carrying out some basic functions in this present day.
- A telephone number will help you complete the verification process to know that you are human if you are working on the internet.
- Most social media account requires the use of your telephone number for account creation.
Types of Working Telephone Number
- Afghanistan has +93 has its country code and nine digits national number—for example, (+93) 647328019
- Albania +355 and 9 digits national number—for example, (+355) 558934810
- Algeria +213 and 8/9 digits national number
- Angola +244 and 9 digits national number
- Argentina +54 and ten digits national number
- Armenia +374 and 8 digits national number
- Australia +61 and 5-15 digits national number
- Austria +43 and a 13 digits national number
- Belarus +375 9- 10 digits national number
- Belgium +32 and 8- 9 digits national number
- Benin +229 and 8 digits national number
- Brazil +55 and 10 digits national number
- China +86 and 12 digits national number
The list goes on for each of the countries. You have to refer to the country in which you want to call to know the country code. The national number is what the telephone service operators give their subscribers. You can use it to connect with other subscribers within the same region.
To contact a number outside of your region, you will need to include the country code number. The national telephone number for each country differs from each other, so also with the country code.
Significance of Working Telephone Number
The telephone number has its utmost significance in this present age that the internet and technology have taken over. Here are some of its applications though not limited to them.
- With a telephone number, you will be able to reach out to your friends and love ones without having to travel a long distance.
- If used for a business, it will show that the company is viable and reliable.
- With telephone numbers, you can connect your devices such as computer modems, pagers, or fax machines.
- With your phone number, you can use devices that are data-only.
- A telephone number will identify you as someone who is mobile and in reach of connection.
History of Working Telephone Number
In the early years of the telephone, there was no number attached to it. Alexander Graham, who was the inventor of the telephone, was the first to speak with no number, and the words were to his secretary in 1876. In late 1879, the first telephone number was used and developed in Lowell, Massachusetts. Moses Greeley Parker came up with the initiative of using a telephone number instead of the jacks on the switchboard that was in operation to communicate via telephone then.
The idea was centered on the raging measles epidemic that if the operators were all affected, it would be difficult for emerging operators to learn the assignment of those telephone subscribers. It made him recommend the use of numbers, and this resulted in the use of telephone numbers. As expansion and new initiatives sprang up, telephone companies make it easier for their subscribers by introducing telephone exchange names. To call Jenny, for instance, you will use UNderhill-75309.
When short names that can be distinguish became difficult to sort by companies, this led to the introduction of all number dialing in the 1960s with four digits for the landline. Since then, telephone users have seen new imagination to the type of telephone numbers and dialing code in use now.