Articles by Florida
- ALEC Roster Shrinks As GE, Sprint, Western Union, Symantec, Reckitt Quit
August 27 2012 12:53 PM
Five more major companies said they had quit the controversial conservative American Legislative Council, a Washington, D.C., based body that lobbies for right-wing legislation such as “stand your ground” laws in state legislatures.
- Tropical Storm Isaac Cuts Petroleum Output, Price Hikes Expected
August 27 2012 12:28 PM
At least one major refiner, BP PLC (NYSE: BP), has said it is shutting down production in the region. Production shutdowns can lead to price spikes at the pump fairly quickly.
- Tropical Storm Isaac 2012: Evacuations Ordered In Three Gulf Coast States, Hurricane Path 'Identical To Katrina'
August 27 2012 11:54 AM
Resident in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama were told to evacuate their Gulf Coast homes on Monday in the midst of Hurrican Isaac. The governors of the three states each declared an emergency, with Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley ordering mandatory evacuations for residents who live along the coast and for those in some low-lying areas inland.
- Tropical Storm Isaac’s Path Across Southern Florida Cancels 1,000 Flights, Keeps Cruise Ships At Sea
August 27 2012 10:56 AM
Tropical Storm Isaac’s path across Southern Florida and into the Gulf of Mexico has wreaked havoc in the skies, forcing more than 1,000 cancellations and counting.
- Oil prices driven mostly by TS Isaac
August 27 2012 10:10 AM
The main drivers for the price of oil have shifted from mostly being driven by the externals (currencies, equities and macroeconomic data) to being driven by the short term fundamentals. Those fundamentals include a hurricane threat in the oil and Nat Gas rich region of the US Gulf Coast, a plethora of unscheduled refinery outages including one at the huge Amuay Refinery in Venezuela, and a breakdown in wage discussions with the Norwegian oil workers union. All of sudden the supply side of the e...
- Departing Ron Paul Flexes Movement's Muscle In Tampa
August 27 2012 10:00 AM
With a massive rally marking the end of his latest long-shot presidential bid, the Texas Republican demonstrated that his supporters will be making their presence known at the Republican National Convention in Tampa.
- The Energy Report - Isaac has Oil Production Twisting in the Wind
August 27 2012 7:58 AM
Winds and rain and Isaac have taken a nasty turn right into the heart of Gulf Oil Production. States of emergency and evacuation orders are in place along the Gulf oil and refining areas. Prices started to soar shortly after Weather Analyst Dave Tolleris of WXRISK told me that Isaac may miss Florida completely and turn into a Category 2 Hurricane and head directly into refineries and production near Alabama and Louisiana. Dave said that we are rapidly approaching that point of landfall with Isa...
- RNC: How Tampa Has Changed Fortunes For Mitt Romney Apart From Revised Convention Schedule
August 27 2012 6:59 AM
As the Republican National Convention (RNC) grapples with revised schedule of events owing to Tropical Storm Isaac that struck Florida Sunday and is heading toward Gulf of Mexico, the convention venue, Tampa seems have revised fortunes for Mitt Romney in several ways.
- Oil rises more than $1, tropical storm threatens supply
August 27 2012 4:48 AM
Oil futures rose more than a dollar on Monday, with Brent climbing above $115 per barrel, on supply worries as Tropical Storm Isaac threatened to interrupt most U.S. offshore oil production in the Gulf of Mexico. Oil prices got a further boost from hopes of more U.S. stimulus measures, which would improve the outlook for demand from the world's top consumer of oil.
- Hurricane Isaac 2012: Tropical Storm Heads To Gulf Of Mexico After Churning Off Florida
August 27 2012 2:19 AM
After lashing South Florida with heavy rain and strong wind Sunday, tropical storm Isaac is now heading northwestward into the Gulf of Mexico, posing a threat to the U.S. offshore oil production.
- After Tropical Storm Isaac, Earthquakes Rattle US; No Casualties Reported
August 27 2012 1:34 AM
Even as U.S. reels under the spell of Tropical Storm Isaac that lashed Florida Sunday, two other natural disasters seem to have struck southeastern California and the Pacific Ocean Sunday and this time it is an earthquake measuring 5.5 magnitude and 7.4 magnitude, respectively.
- Tropical Storm Isaac Hits Florida, Could Land In New Orleans After Becoming A Hurricane
August 26 2012 7:27 PM
Tropical Storm Isaac began ravishing Florida on Sunday as the storm's path moved up from Cuba and into the Florida Keys. The tropical storm is expected to become a hurricane soon as it travels into the Gulf Coast, near New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Tropical Storm Isaac Could Upend Convention Meant To Unveil The Full Romney
August 26 2012 6:48 PM
Mitt Romney's official coronation as the Republican Party's presidential nominee will be delayed by Mother Nature, and it could be an obstacle for the big-picture goal of the Republican National Convention.
- Isaac Veering Away From Tampa; New Orleans Could Be Target
August 26 2012 4:01 PM
Tropical Storm Isaac approached hurricane strength as descended on the Florida Keys Sunday, but its course appeared to veering away from Tampa, site of the Republican National Convention, and toward the northern Gulf Coast.
- Isaac Advances On Florida Keys; Nears Hurricane Force
August 26 2012 8:59 AM
Tropical Storm Isaac approached hurricane strength as descended on the Florida Keys Sunday, and forecasters warned it could become a dangerous Category 2 hurricane on an expected track toward the northern Gulf Coast.
- RNC Attracts Thousands To Florida Braving Hurricane Isaac Threat; Puts Spotlight On Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan
August 26 2012 5:31 AM
Even as Tropical Storm Isaac managed to reschedule the Republican National Convention (RNC) to Tuesday August 28, the excitement in Tampa, Florida remains unabated as thousands gear up to host the Convention that puts spotlight on Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and vice presidential running mate Paul Ryan.
- Tropical Storm Isaac's Path Causes GOP To Delay Convention And Vote To Nominate Mitt Romney
August 25 2012 8:08 PM
Tropical Storm Isaac hasn't landed in Florida yet, but it's already causing damage to the Republican Party. Almost all Republican National Convention events on Monday have been canceled because of the storm, according to Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus.
- For New Orleans It's Been Anything But Easy, But The Big Easy Is Back, Post-Katrina Style
August 25 2012 2:16 PM
The road to recovery for New Orleans has been as long and winding as the Mississippi River that snakes through town, but the people of this city are ready for the world to see what they've known for a while: The place is vital again.
- Tropical Storm Isaac Expected To Be Upgraded To Hurricane Before Hitting Florida: Report
August 25 2012 1:28 PM
Tropical Storm Isaac is expected to be upgraded to a hurricane before it hits the Florida Keys and Tampa regions. The Weather Channel reported that the storm is expected to reach Florida Sunday afternoon and Tampa later in the week.
- Haiti Slammed By Tropical Storm Isaac
August 25 2012 11:27 AM
Tropical Storm Isaac battered southern Haiti on Saturday, drenching the storm-prone island's capital of Port-au-Prince and leaving at least three people dead.