Police lights
Representation. The lights of a police car. tevenet/Pixabay


  • Two men and a woman have been arrested on suspicion of murder in the death of the 17-year-old boy
  • The boy was reportedly found screaming for help in the garden of a house
  • The investigation is still ongoing, and police have appealed for information

Police in the U.K. have launched a murder probe after the death of a 17-year-old boy in Greater Manchester, England.

The victim, identified as Callum Riley, died Saturday morning shortly after being found with serious injuries in Heywood, Rochdale, according to a news release from Greater Manchester police (GMP).

The cause of death has not yet been revealed. A post-mortem is due to take place, Manchester Evening News reported.

An 18-year-old man and a 21-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with the boy's death.

GMP said the woman was taken to police custody for questioning Saturday afternoon, while the man was in the hospital Saturday morning receiving treatment for a wound, according to Manchester Evening News. It is unclear how the man sustained the injury.

A second man, 33, was arrested in connection with the case later in the day, according to the news release. Police have not yet identified the suspects.

A local resident, who asked not to be named, told Manchester Evening News at the scene that he found Riley hurt in the garden of a house Saturday morning. The unidentified man said he performed CPR on the teen.

"I heard a load of screaming at 4:30 a.m.," the man told the outlet. "We heard a scream for help and looked outside the bedroom window, but we couldn't see anything."

The man said that he heard another scream for help half an hour later. He said that all he could hear was someone shouting, "Help, help."

"It wasn't until when it was light out, when someone knocked on and said there was a man in a garden. I went into the garden, and I called police, and they asked me to perform CPR on him. It's a sad thing, a young lad," the unnamed man told the outlet.

Police said that before Riley was found, another man had asked for help from people on a nearby property.

"On behalf of GMP, I send condolences to Callum's family. A specially trained officer has been deployed to liaise with them and ensure they are fully updated on our investigation," Detective Chief Inspector Gina Brennand, of GMP's major incident team, was quoted as saying in the press release.

Brennand said that they have "made progress in establishing the full circumstances surrounding this incident," but that the investigation is still ongoing.

"We are continually assessing the impact this incident has had on local communities, but I reiterate that we do not believe there is any risk to the public. Officers from the Rochdale district will be providing a visible presence in the coming days for reassurance," Brennand added.

Detectives are appealing for information related to the case.

Representational Image. pixabay