A FedEx driver in North Texas was arrested Friday for allegedly kidnapping and murdering a 7-year-old girl who went missing Wednesday.

Tanner Lynn Horner, 31, has been arrested on charges of capital murder and aggravated kidnapping. He is being held in jail on a $1.5 million bond as of Friday evening, according to Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin.

The disappearance of Athena Strand, 7, who vanished Wednesday from her home in Paradise, Texas, northeast of Fort Worth prompted a massive search with an estimated 200 volunteers from the community.

"We do have a confession," Akin said in a news conference. He also noted FedEx helped in the investigation Friday.

Akin did not reveal a possible motive or how the child died. According to NBC News, it is unclear if Horner had an attorney to speak on his behalf.

Athena Strand
Athena Strand, 7, was found dead Friday near her Texas home after she was kidnapped Wednesday, officials said. Strand Family Handout

Athena Strand arrived home from school Wednesday and was reported missing by her stepmother around 6:40 p.m. This was around the same time Horner allegedly delivered a package to the home.

"We knew early on in the investigation that there had been a FedEx driver who made a delivery in front of the house, about the same time that little Athena, 7-year-old Athena, came up missing," Akin said.

Wise County Sheriff Search
Wise County authorities search for Athena Strand CBS News Screen grab

"It's one of the toughest investigations I've ever been involved in because it's a child," Akin said. "Any time there's a child that dies, it just hits you in your heart. You compare that child to your own children when they were at that age."

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram said Horner is from Fort Worth and had no prior criminal record in Tarrant or Wise counties. His social media accounts say he was a musician and Uber driver.

FedEx issued a statement Friday, "Words cannot describe our shock and sorrow at the reports surrounding this tragic event. First and foremost, our thoughts are with the family during this most difficult time, and we continue to cooperate fully with the investigating authorities. At this time, any further questions should be directed to law enforcement."