A fresh report from an analytics firm shows which original equipment manufacturer (OEM), Apple or Samsung, sold the most smartphones in April. Notably, this particular analysis covers the smartphones tied to a data plan, sold via the big Best Buy.

Cloud-based analytics firm JeeQ Data has come up with the answer to the perpetual question, “Which smartphone maker shipped more units, Samsung or Apple?” As it turns out, Apple apparently sold 51.14 percent of the smartphones among the two conglomerates during April. Samsung, on the other hand, reportedly sold 48.86 percent of smartphones, says Phone Arena.

In any case, Phone Arena points out that, the daily breakdown of the analytics data reportedly shows Samsung can catch up with Apple in May. From the time Samsung released Galaxy S6 and the curved-edge, display-clad twin Galaxy S6 Edge in the U.S., the sales numbers have started skyrocketing for the Korean tech giant, especially when compared to Apple. Therefore, going by the report, Samsung could trump Apple towards the end of this month.

Meanwhile, when breaking down the sales numbers of Best Buy with respect to carrier, AT&T apparently amassed a huge 66 percent chunk of Apple orders. Also, it is worth noting that, AT&T reportedly had an exclusive deal on the Apple iPhone during the initial days of release. Plus, the iPhone easily managed to withstand the advent of Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge in the second half of April, according to Phone Arena.

Verizon customers, on the other hand, purchased more Samsung handsets via Best Buy in April. Reportedly, Samsung branded smartphones topped at 52.12 percent, whereas the remaining 47.88 percent settled for Apple iPhones. Also, the influx of Verizon customers apparently started during the release of the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge in April.

Moving on to the preferred color choice of the smartphones sold via Best Buy, JeeQ Data says, so-called Space Gray was favored over other hues at 38.86 percent. This is reportedly followed by the White Pearl hue at 14.57 percent. However, it is worth noting that while the Space Gray hue belongs to Apple devices like  iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 5s, the White Pearl color option comes with Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge.

Following the Space Gray and White Pearl hues, the Black Sapphire color of the Samsung flagship was apparently favored by 13.71 percent of buyers. Also, the color Gold reportedly occupied the third position among the Apple iPhone users with 10.29 percent share. And lastly, the Charcoal Black hue seen in the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy Note Edge and Galaxy S5 seemingly took the fifth position with 6.57 percent share.

To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail: p.rathinavel@ibtimes.com.au.