Green Day
Pictured: Green Day performs on ABC’s “Good Morning America” at Central Park on May 19, 2017. Getty Images/Theo Wargo

Green Day was not aware that an acrobat had died right before their performance at a music festival in Spain.

On Friday, Green Day took over the stage of Madrid’s Mad Cool Festival following a tragic accident. An acrobat named Pedro Aunión Monroy fell 100 feet to his death while fans were waiting for the U.S. band to perform. The band later performed their set, unaware that a tragic accident had occured just minutes before they came up, and this resulted to backlash from some attendees.

READ: Green Day explained canceled show in Glasgow

Following their first statement released shortly after the festival, the band has once again clarified what really happened that day. “An acrobat by the name of Pedro was killed during his performance before Green Day played our show,” said Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong in a statement obtained by USA TODAY. “Many of you are wondering why we continued to play our show after the accident. Green Day did not hear about the accident until after our show was over. We are so sad for Pedro and his family and we pray for them in this time of grief. I can’t imagine how much suffering the friends and family are going through.”

Green Day also announced Monroy’s death on their official Twitter account. The band explained that they learned the disturbing news only after getting off the stage. They also extended their prayers to his family and friends who were mourning his passing.

According to Armstrong, they were backstage and were about half a mile from the main festival when the incident happened. They were prepping for their performance, which was scheduled at 11:25 p.m. However, 15 minutes prior to their gig, the local authorities ordered them to wait due to some security issues.

When they were up on stage, Green Day performed for two and a half hours. The band didn’t notice any problems and the crowd had a great time. When they returned to the artists’ compound, it was only then that they were told about Monroy’s death.

“What happened to Pedro is unthinkable,” Armstrong’s statement continued. “Once again we are heartbroken for his friends and family. and we are also shocked and heartbroken for anyone that had to witness this tragedy. This has never happened in the 30 years Green Day have been performing live.”

Meanwhile, Monroy’s partner, Michael Sells, was reportedly in the audience watching him at the time. Prior to Monroy’s death, he shared a drawing of him and his boyfriend. A friend, Darren Howe, told The Telegraph that it was Sells’ first time watching Monroy’s show. Many of their friends are now going to Madrid to support Sells.

What’s your take on Green Day’s statement? Drop a comment below.