Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said he expects the death toll from Friday's tornado will surpass 100.

Appearing Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union,” Beshear told Jake Tapper, “I can tell you from reports that I’ve received, I know we’ve lost more than 80 Kentuckians. That number is going to exceed more than 100.”

The severe weather conditions and damage has left communities in devastation. Tens of thousands were left without power, along with multiple homes and buildings that came down on people. Rescue teams continue to search for survivors.

“This is the deadliest tornado event we have ever had. I think it's going to be the longest and deadliest tornado event in U.S. history,” he said.

Beshear got emotional when discussing the destruction.

“I’ve got towns that are gone — that are just, I mean, gone,” he said. “My dad's hometown -- half of it isn’t standing. It is hard to describe. I know people can see the visuals, but that goes on for 12 blocks or more in some of these places. And it’s going to take us time. I mean, you think you go door to door to check on people and see if they’re O.K.? There are no doors. The question is if somebody is in the rubble of thousands upon thousands of structures. I mean, it is devastating.”

Kentucky was hit with multiple tornadoes but one of them stayed on the ground for more than 227 miles, Beshear said.

Tornadoes also caused havoc in other states. Six people were killed in Illinois, four in Tennessee and two each in Missouri and Arkansas, the Associated Press reported.

A candle factory in Mayfield, Kentucky, saw some of the worst damage. About 110 people were working inside when the tornadoes hit. Beshear said Sunday that 40 people have been rescued out of the rubble.

“A candle factory there — it’ll be a miracle if they pull anybody else out of that,” Beshear said. “It’s now 15 feet deep of steel and cars on top of where the roof was. It’s tough. But our rescuers out there are incredible. They worked through the night while it was occurring, putting themselves in danger. Through all of yesterday.”

“I'm not sure that we're going to see another rescue. I pray for it. It would be an incredibly welcomed miracle, but I think it's been since 3:30 yesterday morning that we found a live person,” he added.