Still image from video shows Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom in Auckland's North Shore District Court after his arrest
Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom appears in Auckland's North Shore District Court after his arrest in this still image taken from a January 20, 2012 video. REUTERS

Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom has testified in the court on February 3, insisting he never wanted to flee New Zealand.

Megaupload was one of the world's leading file-sharing and online storage sites until it was closed down by U.S. authorities in January. Dotcom and his accomplices were arrested and charged with copyright infringement, money laundering, racketeering and other felonies.

Last week, the defendants were denied bail by Judge David McNaughton, who ruled that Dotcom posed a flight risk. McNaughton said Dotcom could escapes to his native Germany, which has no extradition treaty with the U.S. Dotcom's lawyers have appealed that decision.

According to, Dotcom claimed that he never had the desire to flee New Zealand.

I'm aware that if I go to Germany I would be unable to un-freeze my assets. What I want to do is stay here to fight and get my money back. What would I do in Germany with five kids and a wife with no money? Dotcom reportedly said.

It is not an option for me,'' he was quoted as saying.

Moreover, the Internet millionaire also has alleged in the court that he was the victim of police brutality.

According to Dotcom, when police raided his luxurious mansion by helicopter, they banged heavily on the door. Dotcom said he never thought it was the police on his property, so he just followed security procedure and ran to a special safe room fearing for his life. The police then cut through the door.

He told the court that the police were quite aggressive - they punched him on the face, kicked him and stood on his hands.

And one guy was standing on my hand. It was bleeding,'' he said.

Police in New Zealand insisted that Dotcom had rejected their order to open the door of the safe room, and they were forced to cut through it. The authorities also said found a semi-automatic shotgun in the safe room.

If convicted, Dotcom and his accomplices could face up to 50 years in prison.