Nanny Stabbing
 Upper West Side, New York City, home where nanny Yoselyn Ortega allegedly stabbing to death two children she cared for Reuters

Yoselyn Ortega, the New York City nanny suspected of stabbing two children in her care to death on Thursday, has been arraigned from her hospital bed, where she is being treated for allegedly self-inflicted stab wounds in her neck, reported CNN.

Ortega has been in the hospital since last Thursday ­– the grim day when her employer, Marina Linsley Krim, discovered Ortega on the bathroom floor of her Upper West Side apartment alongside the bodies of her two young children.

Ortega, who had been employed by the Krim family as a nanny for two years, had reportedly made plans with Marina Krim to meet up Thursday afternoon at a dance lesson, for Krim’s 6-year-old daughter Lucia. But when Krim and her younger daughter Nessie, 3, arrived at the dance studio studio on West 68th st., Ortega and the two other children were nowhere in sight.

Assuming she had just missed them, Krim headed back to her apartment with Nessie, but found the apartment dark and empty. Confused, Krim went downstairs to the lobby and spoke with her doorman, who told her he had not seen Ortega or her other two children leave the apartment. At approximately 5:34 pm, Marina Krim headed upstairs again, to double check if anyone was inside, said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly in a briefing on Friday.

When Krim reached the bathroom and flipped on the lights, she found her two children, Lucia, 6, and Leo, 2, fully clothed in an empty bathtub, bloody from stab wounds, and Ortega, 50, nearby them on the floor.

"We believe now that the nanny began to stab herself as the woman entered the room," said Kelly to reporters, clarifying the NYPD’s previous account that they believed Ortega had already stabbed herself before Krim arrived. "We initially thought that had already been done but now information is coming out that she did it as the mother entered the bathroom."

After their bodies were discovered, Lucia and Leo were rushed to St. Luke’s Hospital, but pronounced dead upon arrival. Ortega was taken to Weill Cornell Medical Center, where she was intubated and put into a medically-induced coma that she has since awoken from.

“She snapped. We don’t understand what happened to her mind,” said Ortega's sister Celia, who expressed remorse over initially referring Ortega to the Krims, as a nanny. “I would like to die. I would give my life for the children to come back.”