Police in Maryland said Sunday they had located Nyia Parler, 41, of Philadelphia, who they say left her 21-year-old quadriplegic son in a wooded area near a city park.The iconic LOVE statue is seen in Philadelphia on Feb. 12, 2015. Reuters/Charles Mostoller

A Philadelphia woman who allegedly abandoned her adult, quadriplegic son in a wooded area near a Philadelphia park last week has been hospitalized for an undisclosed condition in Maryland and will be arrested upon release, police said Sunday. Reuters reported Nyia Parler, 41, who is wanted in Pennsylvania on aggravated assault and other charges, was found Saturday in an apartment in Silver Spring, Maryland. She was taken to a local hospital for treatment, a spokesman for the Montgomery County Police Department said.

"Once treatment is completed, we'll take her before court personnel to begin the extradition process," said Capt. Paul Starks, public information officer for the Montgomery County Police.

Parler's 21-year-old disabled son, whose name has not been released, was found Friday night near Cobbs Creek Park. A passerby discovered the young man lying in leaves and covered by blankets. His wheelchair and a Bible were nearby, Philadelphia police said Saturday. Officials from his school and other relatives had reported him missing, authorities said.

“This kid's obviously a fighter," Philadelphia Police Lt. John Walker told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "It's just unbelievable how we found him out there. ... It's absolutely heartbreaking to see another human, especially a mother, can treat someone like that.”

Unable to talk and living with cerebral palsy, Parler’s son may have been alone for more than five days. He was treated for dehydration at a Philadelphia hospital, police said, adding the mother likely left him in the woods before traveling to Maryland.

Starks said police found Parler at an apartment where she was staying with a significant other. A man who identified himself as her boyfriend called police. When police arrived to arrest her, Parler needed treatment for an unspecified medical problem, Reuters reported.