A couple in Tennessee was arrested on charges of child abuse after their 6-month-old child was hospitalized with multiple bone fractures, authorities said.

The infant’s parents, identified as 24-year-old Katarina Finney and 30-year-old Troy Hicks from Johnson City, were arrested Tuesday with one count of aggravated child abuse and one count of aggravated child neglect, WJHL reported.

The investigation began in April after the couple's child was brought to a hospital for a possible broken arm. Medics found that the infant had four bone fractures in various stages of healing in the arm, leg and rib areas.

Police questioned the child's parents about the injuries and they could not provide any explanation for the fractures, the report said.

"All of the fractures were in various stages of healing, meaning they most likely occurred at different times,” Washington County Chief Deputy Leighta Laitinen was quoted as saying by Johnson City Press.

The medical examiners determined that child’s injuries were likely caused by “non-accidental trauma.”

Based on the evidence produced by the investigators, a grand jury issued the indictment against the couple on Sept. 3. However, they were arrested Tuesday while appearing in court for an unrelated matter.

Finney and Hicks are currently held in the Washington County Detention Center on $50,000 bonds. They are scheduled to appear in criminal court later this year.

representational image pixabay

Earlier this month, a Kentucky couple was indicted after their 7-month-old baby died of severe brain injuries, rib fractures and multiple abrasions. The parents, identified as 22-year-old Cody Northern and 23-year-old Savannah Northern from Berea, were indicted for the death of their infant on Sept. 4. The couple initially told the investigators that the infant choked while drinking from a bottle.

However, an autopsy report revealed that the infant's death was caused by brain hemorrhages, spinal cord hemorrhage and multiple rib fractures. The baby's body also had several abrasions and bruises to the head and torso.

During a police interrogation, the infant's mother admitted that Cody took care of the baby the night before the incident. She also said her husband "blacks out" when he gets mad and does not remember what he does.