Princess Diana, Prince Charles
Princess Diana and Prince Charles’s former bodyguard, Mark Roberts, has been living on the streets for the past 18 months. He has also been diagnosed with PTSD 10 years ago. Pictured: Princess Diana, Prince Charles watch an official event during their first royal Australian tour 1983 IN Newcastle, Austrlia on Jan. 1, 1983. Patrick Riviere/Getty Images

Princess Diana and Prince Charles’ former driver, Mark Roberts, now lives on the streets after suffering from PTSD.

Roberts served the royal couple for four years, and he also served his country as a member of the military for 23 years. Some of his biggest credits include serving in the Gulf War in 1991, as well as working as a former staff sergeant in the Queen’s Royal Lancers.

During a recent interview, Roberts detailed how difficult life has been for him for the past 18 years. He also said that after losing everything and relying on soup kitchens for his food, he has thought of killing himself.

“I feel let down by my country. I desperately need help from the authorities, but they don’t seem to care. I sleep rough just yards from the council building. But I don’t feel there’s going to be any help for me any time soon,” said Roberts.

The 50-year-old also shared details about the time he worked for the royal couple as their driver. “I drove them many times, including several times for the Horse of the Year Show. It was an honor. I remember when I told my mom I was going to be protecting Prince Charles, she laughed because of my height. She said, ‘Which bit of him are you going to protect? His knees?’” he recounted.

After leaving his work with the royal family, Roberts became one of the first troops to cross the Saudi Arabian border into Kuwait in the first Gulf War. He also served across Europe and Afghanistan. In 2008, he was stripped off his job in the military due to his PTSD.

Roberts returned to Bournemouth in 2016, but he was attacked by a burglar while inside his apartment. He was treated at a hospital for brain injury, but was evicted after 14 days due to his panic attack. Since then, he has been labeled as intentionally homeless.

“It’s dangerous out here. There are a lot of people taking drugs to subdue the pain, which can lead to scary situations… I’ve been beaten up twice and robbed twice,” he said.