• An Uber driver's car was reportedly rear-ended by another driver while a couple was in the Uber heading to date night
  • The Uber driver reportedly chased after the second driver as the couple began livestreaming the chase
  • Police detained the Uber driver after the chase and formally charged him with abduction, reckless driving, and felony hit and run

An Uber driver was charged Thursday with kidnapping for an alleged hit and run that led to a police chase in Richmond, Virginia, that was livestreamed by the driver’s passengers.

Olufemi S. Olomola, 38, was charged Wednesday with abduction, reckless driving, and felony hit and run.

The incident occurred Monday after the passengers, identified as John Murray and Tameka Swann, requested an Uber to go into town for their date night. Murray said Olomola drove normally for several blocks until the car was rear-ended. He said both initially pulled over before the second driver drove off without exchanging information. Olomola then reportedly handed his phone to Swann to call 911 to report the accident.

“I thought we were just going to pull over and they would exchange information, but the other driver pulled around us and took off,” Murray told reporters. “I had no idea he was about to go fast and furious on us.”

Murray took out his phone and began livestreaming as Olomola sped up to try to catch the second driver. He is seen running several red lights and stop signs as the couple is heard pleading with him from the back seat to stop.

A bicyclist is seen passing the car and narrowly avoids being hit before Olomola reportedly was hit by a third car.

“I feel like he had tunnel vision,” Swann said. “I feel like he didn’t focus on anything else. He kept going, he kept going. That was the scariest moment of my life.”

Olomola reportedly stopped to meet an officer at one intersection to let the couple out and report the accidents. He was detained shortly after for the car chase and accidents while police began investigating the incident.

“This driver's behavior is deeply concerning and his access to the app has been removed,” an Uber spokeswoman told reporters. “We have been in contact with the rider and stand ready to support law enforcement on their investigation.”