• A 19-year-old man in Maine accused of shooting three people during a family argument Saturday was charged with murder
  • One of the victims was the suspect's 2-year-old niece, who succumbed to her injuries and died
  • The suspect may face additional charges as the investigation proceeds

Wells, Maine -- A man in York County, Maine, allegedly fatally shot his 2-year-old niece during a family argument over the weekend, according to reports.

Andrew Huber Young, 19, allegedly shot three people, including his niece Octavia Jean Huber-Young, at a residence along 97 Crediford Road in the Maine resort town Wells at 4:20 p.m. Saturday, the Portland Press Herald reported.

Authorities would not name the two other men injured in the shooting or discuss the victims' relationships with the suspect. But an uncle of Octavia, Craig Higgins, told the news outlet that the two other victims were the girl's father and grandfather. Andrew is the brother of Octavia’s father, Ethan Huber-Young, according to the outlet.

Octavia was taken to Maine Medical Center, where she reportedly died after undergoing surgery.

Her father and grandfather were transported to local hospitals with non-life-threatening gunshot wounds. Their current conditions are unclear.

An autopsy on Octavia will be conducted in the coming days, according to Maine State Police (MSP) spokeswoman Shannon Moss.

MSP detectives arrested Andrew Sunday and charged him with murder, the Wells Police Department (WPD) said in a statement. He is currently being held without bail at York County Jail.

The MSP's Major Crimes Unit continues to investigate the shooting with the assistance of the WPD.

Andrew may face additional charges as the investigation proceeds, according to police.

Al Altaf, Andrew's boss at Chase's store and gas station along Route 109, described the suspect as a "pretty honest kid."

"He was on time, very few sick day calls and he was punctual. He was polite, nice and the customers liked him," Altaf said of Andrew, who did not have a criminal record prior to Saturday's shooting, according to the Maine State Bureau of Identification.

"I was completely shocked at what happened. We're very sorry for his family," the manager added.

Authorities did not disclose a motive for the shooting, but the New York Post claimed it happened during a family argument.

Octavia's father and mother, who are Andrew's brother and former sister-in-law, respectively, allegedly kicked the suspected shooter out of their home prior to the incident.

However, Andrew allegedly returned to the residence with a gun and "started shooting," according to Craig, who is the brother of Octavia's mother.

Andrew ended up shooting Octavia's grandfather in the face, while he shot the girl’s father once each in the arm and shoulder as he was holding his child, the uncle alleged.

Octavia's mother, Samantha Higgins, was not present at the home during the incident. Samantha and Octavia's father are separated, Craig said.

A GoFundMe campaign has been launched to help Samantha with her finances.

Representation. Police in Maine arrested Andrew Huber Young, 19, after he allegedly shot and killed his 2-year-old niece. 4711018/Pixabay