Manchester Airport
A passenger aircraft landing at Manchester International Airport approaches the runway, Jan. 28, 2008. Getty Images

UPDATE: 8:14 a.m. EDT — The Manchester Airport issued a statement Wednesday updating passengers about the evacuation at Terminal 3.

"Manchester Airport can confirm that our routine hold baggage screening process in Terminal 3 identified a bag which appeared to contain suspicious item. Greater Manchester Police was immediately informed and all passengers were safely evacuated from the terminal while further investigations took place," authorities said in the statement. "Officers have now determined the bag poses no threat and we are beginning to process of allowing colleagues and passengers back into the terminal."

"We apologize to all passengers affected by this incident. The safety and security of our customers and employees will always be our number one priority. We encourage all passengers due to travel from Terminal 3 to contact their airlines for updates."

Original Story

Manchester Airport's Terminal 3 was evacuated Wednesday after a "suspicious package" was found in the area. The airport said on its Twitter account the evacuation was only at one terminal and passengers were being sent to other terminals to board their planes.

A bomb disposal unit arrived at the scene after police was alerted about the incident linked to a "potential issue with a bag." People at the airport posted photos of passengers waiting at the tarmac as authorities conducted the precautionary evacuation.

Read: How Much Money Did Ariana Grande’s One Love Manchester Concert

In a statement, the airport said six Ryanair flights were diverted to Terminal 2, while the rest of the passengers were advised to use Terminal 1 for their travel. The airport also said that plane's due to arrive at Terminal 3 are heading to the other two terminals.

“Police were called at 8.50am on Wednesday 5 July 2017 to reports of a suspicious package at Manchester Airport. Officers are responding and a precautionary evacuation of terminal three has taken place. Bomb disposal officers attended and a series of controlled explosions were carried out of the package," the Greater Manchester Police said. “Enquiries are ongoing.”

Read: Prince William Visits With Manchester Bombing First Responders

University lecturer Lizabeth Hannaford, who was among those evacuated, tweeted that police were expanding the security cordon and moving people further away from the terminal.

Here are some photos and reactions posted on social media.

The U.K. has been on high alert following the attack at Manchester Arena on May 22, when British Muslim Salman Ramadan Abedi, 22, detonated a homemade bomb after a concert by singer Ariana Grande. Twenty-three people, including the bomber, were killed in the attack. The threat from international terrorism in the UK remains "severe" — as it has been since August 2014 — meaning an attack is highly likely.