- Has Machu Picchu, The 'Lost City Of The Incas,' Become A Victim Of Its Own Success?
August 23 2012 3:59 PM
The president of Peru announced plans Wednesday to build a new airport near Machu Picchu to attract more tourists, but conservationists argue that the pre-Columbian site is already overrun with visitors.
- Microsoft’s Facelift: New Logo Shown After 15 Years
August 23 2012 1:55 PM
Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), the world's biggest software company, is getting a facelift at 25. The company unveiled a new corporate logo Thursday that uses color for the first time: red, green, blue and yellow in squares next to the company name .
- The Most Valuable Monuments In Europe
August 23 2012 11:29 AM
It lights up the Parisian sky and graces postcards, key chains and holiday photos, but new figures show that the Eiffel Tower is more than just an iconic tourist attraction -- it’s the most valuable monument in Europe.
- Floating Golf Courses, Villas Part Of Maldives Plan To Rise Above Sea Levels
August 20 2012 3:19 PM
What do you do when your country is sinking? If you?re the Maldivian government, you create a series of floating islands that include a hotel and convention center, private villas and an 18-hole golf course.
- 'Oh My Dayum': Songified Five Guys Review Goes Viral [VIDEO]
August 16 2012 2:47 PM
The Gregory Brothers' songified remix of Big Daym's Five Guys review, also known as "Oh My Dayum," has been on YouTube for one day, and yet it's already achieved viral status. The film has nearly 30,000 likes and more than 423,000 views in the 24 hours it was posted online. The video is embedded at the bottom of the page.
- Apple Patent Reveals Plans To Release Adobe Photoshop Rival For Mac, iPad [PICTURES]
August 16 2012 11:21 AM
Pro Apple customers have been waiting for some good news for a long time, especially after Apple disappointed that particular demographic at WWDC in June, when it didn't update the iMac or the Mac Pro lines as it was expected to do. Fortunately, a new "jaw-dropping" patent released by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday reveals Apple is indeed working on addressing the needs of its professional customers with some radical new software that will challenge Adobe Photoshop and...
- Ikea Hotels? Swedish Furniture Chain Branching Into Budget-Chic Lodging
August 15 2012 11:22 AM
Ikea, the Swedish store known for its affordable DIY home furnishing, is branching into a new arena: the hotel business.
- National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest: The Winning Shots In 2012
August 14 2012 2:45 PM
National Geographic Traveler received more than 12,000 entries from 6,615 photographers residing in 152 countries around the globe for its 24th annual photo contest. These winning shots stood out from the pack.
- Wendy's Lobster & Caviar Burger: A Revelation In Cuisine, Or Just Wrong?
August 10 2012 12:33 PM
On Aug. 3, Wendy's added two new ridiculous sandwich items to its menu in Japan to take advantage of the record low prices on the lobster market, including the Premium Caviar & Lobster Burger, and the Lobster Surf & Turf Burger. These two burgers are available in Japan for a limited time, but should Wendy's even be selling these two offbeat burgers to begin with?
- Edinburgh Airport Nude Picasso: Poster Painting Back On Display After Complaints [PHOTO]
August 08 2012 4:12 PM
In an about-face, the Edinburgh, Scotland, airport will not cover up a poster of a Picasso nude in one of its terminals after the move evoked outrage and ridicule.
- Art Critic, Author Robert Hughes Dead At 74
August 06 2012 8:04 PM
Robert Hughes, the Australian-born art critic and historian, died Monday at age 74.
- What Is The Best City For Culture? New Report Compares Assets Of 'World?s Greatest Cities?
August 01 2012 1:42 PM
If you crave a night of theater or dance, head to New York, but for live music, you might want to try Paris. If it?s history you?re after, Istanbul?s your spot, but if you?d rather relax in nature, try Singapore. And if you want to dance the night away, look no further than Sao Paulo.
- The Softer Side Of Rocco Landesman: NEA Grants Bring The Arts To Your Town
July 28 2012 6:18 PM
Earlier this month, the NEA announced the second round of grants for its ambitious nationwide initiative dubbed Our Town, in which its provides funds to struggling neighborhoods for the purpose of investing in theater, dance, music, writing and visual art.
- Culture Suffers From European Austerity: Famed Vienna Opera Ordered To Cut Costs
July 27 2012 2:30 PM
Austrian media reports that the opera will likely have to raise ticket prices.
- Banksy Tags The Olympics: US Graffiti Artist Defies Police Crackdown, Other Artists Arrests
July 26 2012 9:05 AM
As the Olympic Games draw near, Brits are excited to be at the center of the global event. Despite the public's enthusiasm, police are threatening remove any graffiti related to the Olympics. This includes works by Banksy, the notorious U.K. graffiti artist.
- Banksy Celebrates The London 2012 Olympics With New Art [PHOTOS]
July 24 2012 1:18 PM
Banksy, the pseudonymous British street artist whose graffiti is famous for dealing with a wide array of social and political themes, released a new series of wall art in honor of the upcoming 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London.
- Chief Joseph War Shirt Sold For $877,500 In Auction
July 23 2012 4:22 PM
Chief Joseph has never been much of a fashion icon, but that didn’t stop one Native American artifact collector from shelling out $877,500 for a war shirt worn by the Nez Perce tribe leader. The buyer is a private collector whose identity was not revealed.
- One-Sqm-House: Sleep Around Berlin For 1 Euro A Day In World’s ‘Smallest House’
July 23 2012 12:50 PM
Need a place to crash in Berlin this summer? Strapped for cash? Here’s an idea: Stay in the “smallest house in the world,” One-Sqm-House, for just 1 euro per night.
- Beck Composes Three Songs For The PlayStation 3 Indie Game 'Sound Shapes'
July 21 2012 12:23 AM
Beck, the eclectic and award-winning musician of Odelay and Sea Change fame, is contributing three new songs to the coming video game Sound Shapes.
- Church? Tennis Sign-Ups? Active Networks Sees Gains In Cloud From Online Services
July 16 2012 2:49 PM
Chances are you’ve generated some revenue for Active Network (Nasdaq: ACTV), the San Diego-based cloud computer services software developer without knowing it.