- Hold Onto Your Digital Wallets! Google Mobile Payments Faces New Challenger
August 15 2012 8:23 AM
Wal-Mart Stores Inc [WMT], Target Corp. [TGT], 7-Eleven Inc., and Sunoco Inc. [SUN] are poised to announce their rival to the Google Wallet payment system, which launched on Android powered phones last year, the Wall Street Journal revealed. When it does launch, MCX will join the multi-billion dollar race to develop mobile phone payment systems, which propose to do away with cash and card transactions.
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Black Confirmed: Device Goes Up For Pre-Order In UK, Availability After 4-6 Weeks
August 14 2012 5:25 AM
Rumors about a black Samsung Galaxy S3 gathered pace last week. And now, a new report Monday apparently confirmed that the black-colored Galaxy S3 is indeed going to be a reality sooner than later. UK retailer MobileFun has listed the smartphone for pre-orders at a price of £499.95 (around $785).
- Windows Phone 8 Release Date Could Come In September Near Rumored iPhone 5 Unveil; Reasons It Will Launch Next Month
August 13 2012 12:41 PM
Microsoft’s upcoming Windows Phone 8 is likely to see a release date this fall, as manufacturers Nokia and HTC have been ramping up production of smartphones based on this platform, DigiTimes has reported.
- Google Buys Frommer's To Compete With Apple, Yelp
August 13 2012 12:19 PM
Google has reportedly purchased the rights to the Frommer's travel brand from publisher John Wiley & Sons for an undisclosed sum, according to The Wall Street Journal, presumably to bolster its local reviews of small businesses, restaurants, sights and destinations around the globe. With the combination of Frommer's and Zagat, Google will be able to give audiences plenty of ways to view reviews and/or ratings of local businesses around the world throughout its mobile Android platf...
- App.Net: Do People Really Want A Paid Twitter Alternative?
August 13 2012 11:28 AM
Dalton Caldwell, the digital entrepreneur who sometimes enjoys writing angry open letters to Mark Zuckerberg, believes people would prefer a paid version of Twitter where they're not constantly sold to by advertisers, but one where developers and the users are the center of the social experience. Caldwell said he was "inspired to build exactly the service I wanted manifested myself," which he calls App.Net. Now that he's successfully raised his funds, here comes the tough part: Makin...
- Paul Ryan: How Mitt Romney Failed to Announce His VP Before Twitter
August 11 2012 1:43 PM
Romney supporters were to download an app called Mitt's VP, which promised they would be the first to know of his running mate. So on Friday night, who was the first to break the news of Mitt Romney's VP? Well, whoever it was, it wasn't the Romney campaign.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Rumors Indicate No Android Jelly Bean, But Will It Come With Flexible Display? [VIDEO]
August 09 2012 6:20 PM
The release date for Samsung’s Galaxy Note 2 is set to come at the end of this month, but those expecting the smartphone-tablet hybrid to come with Android’s Jelly Bean may be disappointed. The Galaxy Note successor will reportedly launch with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Ouya Closes On Kickstarter, Begins Pre-Orders; Release Date Scheduled For Early April 2013
August 09 2012 6:02 PM
Ouya's Kickstarter campaign finally closed on Thursday morning, and just as Uhrman predicted, Ouya has finally arrived. Gamers, developers and fans looking to pre-order an Ouya can now do so via the company's website. Ouya said the expected release date for its Android-based gaming console is April 2013.
- Google Says Voice-Activated Services Coming, Adds iPhone App
August 09 2012 1:57 PM
Google (Nasdaq: GOOG), the No. 1 search engine, said it has devised a voice-enabled app for Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) iPhones that will challenge the Siri personal assistant. The move comes two months after Google acquired Motorola Mobility Holdings, one of the top makers of smartphones.
- Android And iOS Surge To New Smartphone OS Record In Q2 2012; BlackBerry OS, Symbian Decline
August 09 2012 6:26 AM
According to a new IDC report, Android and iOS together accounted for 85 percent of all smartphones shipped in the second quarter of 2012, establishing a new combined high for the mobile operating systems from Google and Apple.
- Android Malware Increases 64% In Q1 2012, SMS-Based Trojans See Faster Growth: Report
August 09 2012 4:03 AM
Google's Android is the most heavily targeted mobile operating system by malware since it is an open platform where malicious apps can make easy way to users' devices. A recent report has just underpinned the same, saying that both Android-based and the mobile malware in general are increasing even further.
- Valve To Offer Non-Gaming Software On Steam
August 08 2012 4:00 PM
Software and video game developer Valve is opening its digital distribution and gaming service platform Steam to include additional types of software. The new content will begin to arrive on the platform as early as September.
- Android, iOS Power 85% Of New Smartphones: IDC
August 08 2012 12:31 PM
No surprise. Smartphones operating on the Android OS from Google (Nasdaq: GOOG), the No. 1 search engine and the iOS from Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), the world's most valuable technology company, now power 85 percent of all new smartphones, IDC estimated.
- Apple iPhone 5 Features: iOS 6 Scalable To Rumored 640 x 1136 Next iPhone Resolution, Points To New 9-Pin Connector
August 08 2012 6:14 AM
Rumor has it so far that Apple will follow suit of rival Android devices and release the iPhone 5, boasting a taller 640×1136 resolution display. A latest report has claimed that iOS 6 is completely scalable to the rumored taller iPhone 5 display, allowing five complete rows of apps in the home screen.
- Microsoft Enters IP Licensing Agreement With Sharp To Use The New exFAT File System In Smartphones
August 08 2012 1:37 AM
Microsoft has entered into an intellectual property (IP) licensing agreement with Sharp to use the latest Extended File Allocation Table (exFAT), a modern file system that facilitates large files for audiovisual media and enables seamless data portability for an easy interchange of files between desktop PCs and other electronic devices.
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Release Date For Samsung Galaxy S3 May Come This Fall, Other Devices Still In Testing Phase [VIDEO, FEATURES]
August 07 2012 10:35 AM
Google’s newly announced Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system may be making its way to two of the most popular Samsung devices this fall, lining up with Apple’s iOS 6 release date.
- Nina Vs. Siri: Where Nuance Beats Apple
August 06 2012 11:15 AM
Siri's reputation is well-earned: But would you trust Siri, or any of her similar rivals out there for Android, to pay your bank bill? Nuance has clearly thought about what's missing from the voice recognition department, and unveiled its own solution on Monday, called "Nina." Apple's solution is better for casual users, while Nuance's solution is a must for business and customer service professionals.
- Apple iPad's Strong Shipments Drive Healthy Tablet Market Growth In Q2: IDC
August 04 2012 1:12 AM
Thanks to Apple's record-setting quarter of its iPad sales, the worldwide tablet market saw a better-than-anticipated second quarter with a robust year-over-year growth rate of 66.2 percent, according to a report by IDC.
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Tablet Priced At $125 Overseas: Meet The Second Tablet To Get Google’s ‘Buttery Smooth’ OS [FEATURES]
August 03 2012 5:54 PM
Google's new Nexus 7 tablet may be garnering attention in the tablet industry, but there may be an unlikely competitor. An Indian company will be offering a tablet running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean that will only cost $125, PCWorld reported.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Release Date To Come Just Weeks Before Alleged iPhone 5 Unveil, Features To Expect [SPECS]
August 03 2012 10:47 AM
Samsung has confirmed that its Galaxy Note 2 will be unveiled this month. A representative from the company told Reuters that the device will be announced at a Samsung Mobile Unpacked event on August 29, similar to the way the Samsung Galaxy S3 was unveiled.