• A man and woman got into an argument with a man and then lit him on fire, police say
  • The victim suffered severe burns to his upper body
  • The suspects were arrested and charged with attempted murder, arson and conspiracy

Sanger, California -- Two people face attempted murder charges after setting a man on fire during an argument in Sanger, California, earlier this week, according to authorities.

The suspects were identified by the Sanger Police Department as 48-year-old Patricia Castillo and 43-year-old Leonard Hawkins, both residents of Sanger.

At around 9:15 p.m. Thursday, Sanger officers responded to reports of an injured man suffering severe burns to his upper body.

The victim, whose name has not been disclosed, told police that a woman had set him on fire several blocks away when they encountered each other at Sanger Park. The unnamed man was immediately brought to a hospital due to the severity of his injuries.

Police said they obtained surveillance footage showing the incident, which occurred at approximately 8:30 p.m. Thursday.

“Investigators used video surveillance and witness statements to identify Patricia Castillo and Leonard Hawkins as the suspects,” the Sanger Police Department said in their statement.

“The video shows Castillo approaching the victim and throwing a liquid from a cup onto him, and she and the victim appear to argue before Castillo sparks a lighter and lights the victim on fire. Further investigation revealed that Leonard Hawkins had provided the accelerant used to light the victim on fire to Castillo,” the authorities added.

Authorities were able to locate Castillo and Hawkins. Both were arrested without incident and were subsequently booked into the Fresno County Jail.

They were charged with attempted murder, arson and conspiracy.

The victim continues to undergo treatment for his injuries and is expected to survive, CBS News reported.

In related news, a woman in her 20s was lit on fire inside a bus in Toronto, Canada, last month.

A 35-year-old man was arrested in connection with the incident with charges pending, CBC reported. The names of both the suspect and victim were not released.

Authorities said the incident was a "random" attack.

The woman sustained life-altering injuries, most of which were second and third-degree burns, from the attack. Her current condition and the motive behind the incident are unclear.

But media relations officer Toronto police Const. Alex Li told reporters that there was some sort of interaction between the man and woman before the incident happened.

Representative image Credit: Pixabay / 0fjd125gk87