• Both deputies were charged with disorderly conduct, with one facing an additional charge of felony battery
  • One of the sailors they fought with had to be airlifted to a Miami hospital for treatment
  • The deputies have been suspended without pay and face an internal investigation by the sheriff's office

Two sheriff's office deputies in Florida were arrested by Key West police after getting into a fight with three U.S. Navy sailors early Saturday.

Connor Scott Curry, 23, and Trevor Dawson Pike, 25, both deputies with the Monroe County Sheriff's Office, were each charged with disorderly conduct following the Key West brawl, which resulted in one of the sailors needing to be airlifted to a hospital in Miami for treatment, 12 News reported.

Pike faces an additional charge of felony battery, Local 10 reported.

Both were off-duty at the time of the incident, the Monroe County Sheriff's Office said.

Officers observed Curry and Pike arguing with the sailors — identified as Angel Low, 26, Jose Bejar Jr., 22, and James Black, 27, according to Miami Herald — at approximately 1:43 a.m. Saturday along the 500 block of Duval Street in Key West, police said.

Police officers said they witnessed Pike punch the 27-year-old sailor in the face while Curry pushed him, KXXV reported. This caused the sailor to fall and hit his head on the sidewalk, according to authorities.

The sailor was transported to Kendall Regional Medical Center by helicopter after he suffered a brain bleed and lost consciousness, police said. No update has been provided regarding the sailor's condition as of Saturday morning.

Pike told police Bejar was across the street from him when the two started exchanging words. A passerby witnessed the brawl that ensued.

The three sailors, who were with a squadron visiting U.S. Naval Air Station Key West, were also charged with disorderly conduct, police said.

Monroe County Sheriff Rick Ramsay said in a statement that both Pike and Curry have been suspended without pay and face an internal investigation by the sheriff's office.

“I am saddened by this incident, and it will be fully investigated,” Ramsay said. “Nonetheless, whenever something significant happens involving the sheriff’s office, good or bad, I want you to hear it from me first.”

Both deputies were released from jail Saturday. Pike is out on $55,000 bail, while Curry was released on his own recognizance, according to jail records seen by KXXV. It was not mentioned if the deputies had legal representation.

Representational Image. pixabay