Police in the small Northern California town of Mount Shasta were surprised Monday by a confession that has led to multiple murder charges.

According to authorities, Shankar Hangud, 53, entered the lobby of the station and admitted to officers that he had killed four relatives in his apartment. Upon a search, the body of one of his alleged victims, a male adult, was found in Hangud's red Mazda sedan.

Hangud had apparently driven from his apartment in Roseville, a California city near Sacramento that is more than 200 miles south of Mount Shasta. Police in Roseville, which have since taken up the investigation with Mount Shasta Police, reportedly searched Hangud’s apartment and found three more bodies.

"We can confirm the four victims consisted of two adults and two juveniles," said Captain John Simon of the Roseville Police Department.

Hangud has since been transported to and booked into the Placer County Jail and was charged with four counts of murder, according to Simon.

Simon told reporters that Hangud may have driven to other parts of Northern California before ending up at Mount Shasta.

The Mount Shasta Police Department said that they believed Hangud was the sole perpetrator of the murders and that that the community was not at risk since he personally knew the victims.

Sergeant Robert Gibson described the Hangud's demeanor as "matter of fact" and that police initially didn't believe that he killed his relatives.

“He just came in and told our dispatcher that I want to confess to a murder, and then just gave it up,” Gibson said. “I have never had someone come in with a body and turn themselves in here. This was unusual for us.”

There have been no details about how and when the victims were killed. Police are still looking to learn the timeline of their deaths, though it is believed they were killed within a few days.

Mount Shasta has a population of roughly 3,300. The scenic town attracts visitors for its hiking, fishing and skiing.

crime scene
This is a representational image of a crime-scene tape in Chicago, Illinois, in March 2005. Getty Images/Scott Olson