KEY POINTS

  • The common krait slithered into the home in the early hours of Saturday and bit the girl
  • The parents noticed a small swelling and rushed her to a nearby hospital
  • She succumbed the same night

A 10-year-old girl died after being bitten by a venomous snake while she was sleeping. The incident took place in the southern Indian state of Kerala on Saturday.

The victim, identified as Adhitya, was sleeping beside her parents when the common krait slithered into the home in the wee hours of Saturday and bit her. The girl woke her parents up and told them she was bitten by something. The parents noticed a small swelling and rushed her to a nearby hospital where they were informed she was bitten by a snake, the New Indian Express reported.

"Around 5 a.m. on Saturday, she was tossing around in her sleep. When I asked her what happened, she said something had bitten her and that it might be ants. When I checked her, there was a small swelling. We took her to the hospital," the victim’s mother said, the News Minute reported.

After her condition deteriorated, the girl, a grade five student, was then transferred to a private hospital where she succumbed the same night.

In the meantime, local authorities arrived at her home and found the reptile.

"When we inspected the house later on Saturday morning, we found a common krait under the bed in the room," one of the officials said.

The incident comes a month after a 10-year-old boy died while his brother was in a serious condition after a venomous snake bit the siblings as they were sleeping at their home in the southern Indian state of Telangana. The brothers were sleeping on the floor beside their parents when the incident took place. The siblings woke the parents up and complained of stomach pain. When they pulled away the blanket, they found a common krait snake under it. The 10-year-old boy died on the way to the hospital while his brother was admitted in critical condition.

snake-501986_640 Snake Photo: Pixabay