In an attempt to mask the smell of alcohol on his breath, a man charged with drunk driving, sprayed Axe body spray in his mouth as police deputies approached him at a traffic stop. Another passenger in the car was also charged. 

Deputies in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, pulled over a car on Interstate 85 on Saturday night after the driver passed a deputy at high speed before swerving into another lane. The driver, identified as Efren Mencia-Ramirez, 49, was spraying body spray in his mouth when he was approached by a deputy to “cover the smell of alcohol on his breath,” according to a report filed by the police. Police said both Mencia-Ramirez and the other passenger, whose name was not revealed, were drinking beer while the former drove the car.

Police also found a 12-pack of beer on the passenger floorboard and 11 of those bottles were open while 10 of them were almost empty. Mencia-Ramirez smelled of alcohol and exhibited signs of intoxication while having an open bottle of beer between his legs. The deputies arrested him for driving under the influence after he failed multiple field sobriety tests, though he claimed to have drunk only one bottle of beer.

His breath sample yielded a .15 blood alcohol content which was nearly twice the legal limit for operating a vehicle in South Carolina. He was also charged for open container violation, having no proof of insurance and valid driver’s license. The other passenger was also charged with open container violation.

Ingesting or spraying perfume in the mouth accidentally is not a very uncommon thing. However, if it is sprayed in large quantity, it may cause the blood sugar level to drop to dangerously low levels. According to the National Capital Poison Center, if a child accidentally swallows some perfume, it may cause drowsiness and inebriation, slurred speech, depressed breathing and loss of coordination, and in extreme cases, may lead to a seizure. If a person or child swallows perfume, the center recommends they be given something to eat and rinse their mouth with water. If the quantity ingested is high, online help can be sought from poison control centers.