• The LAPD arrested a man who impersonated a National Guard during a George Floyd rally 
  • Gregory Wong was arrested for illegal possession of an assault weapon
  • Cops are still investigating his real intentions, but he claimed to be a former National Guard

A man, who was dressed in uniform and carried an assault rifle, is now in the custody of the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) after he tried to impersonate a National Guard during a George Floyd protest Tuesday (June 2).

Gregory Wong, 31, reportedly fell into formation with the National Guard troops in front of the Los Angeles City Hall when someone noticed that his uniform was off.

Actual National Guard members started quizzing Wong about the patches in his uniform, while someone alerted the LAPD.

National_Guard Members of the National Guard have been deployed at many cities across the U.S. during the George Floyd protests. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

According to the Los Angeles Times, Wong was arrested for suspicion of illegal possession of an assault weapon. The man also had a sidearm pistol, some spare ammunition, and a night scope.

Police determined that the M-4 weapon Wong carried was a "ghost gun," a custom-built rifle without any serial number.

Wong reportedly told the cops that he was from Northern California and recently moved to Los Angeles. He was also a former member of the National Guard and wanted to "help with security" as the protests spanned days, per the New York Post.

Wong was seen arriving at the protest via an Uber and provided the cops a business address belonging to his friend.

The LAPD has yet to determine his real intentions.

"While investigators are still looking into the incident, at this time it does not appear that Mr. Wong intended to harm anyone,” LAPD spokesperson Drake Madison said.

The man's bail is set at $50,000.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom had 4,500 National Guard members mobilized amid a growing tension of mass protests across the country in the wake of Floyd's unjust murder. The black man was arrested by white cops in Minneapolis on May 25 and died under custody as he was pinned down to the ground by the police for nine minutes.

Hundreds of people, including Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, filled the streets of L.A. to protest this injustice.