Michelle Carter, who was convicted Friday of involuntary manslaughter in the 2014 suicide of her boyfriend, expressed her disappointment over the judge's verdict, the 20-year-old Massachusetts woman's lawyer told People magazine Monday. Carter had been on trial for Conrad Roy III’s death after repeatedly encouraging him to take his own life.

“The case presented some very novel legal issues, and we’re very disappointed in the outcome of the verdict,” attorney Joseph Cataldo told People, adding that he and his client “will be weighing our various options moving forward” and are focused on Carter’s sentencing on Aug. 3. Cataldo also said he was not sure whether Carter will appeal her conviction.

Roy committed suicide in the summer of 2014 by using carbon monoxide from a truck’s exhaust system to poison himself. Prosecutors say Carter encouraged her boyfriend to kill himself and told him through text messages to use a generator and carbon dioxide during the suicide attempt. Carter faces up to 20 years in prison.

Read: How Conrad Roy's Family And Friends Reacted To Michelle Carter's Conviction

“There’s a whole host of different options ranging from jail to probation,” Cataldo said addressing Carter's potential sentencing.

Cataldo, who tried unsuccessfully to convince the judge to dismiss charges against her, argued during the trial that Roy would have killed himself with or without Carter's help.

“She knew exactly what she was doing and what she said,” Roy’s mother, Lynn, said during an episode of “48 Hours” Friday after Carter's conviction. “The fact that she would say to him, ‘Your family will get over you.’ How is that even — I will never get over him.”

During the trial, prosecutors showed hundreds of text messages between Roy and Carter in which the latter urged him to commit suicide. In some conversations before his death, Carter also expressed her frustration when Roy wanted to back out from committing suicide.

“You’re ready and prepared,” Carter wrote to Roy in one of the messages. “All you have to do is turn the generator on and you will be free and happy. No more pushing it off. No more waiting.”

It was revealed during the trial that Carter had pretended she didn’t know what was happening despite being on the phone with Roy during his death.

“This has been a very tough time for our family,” Roy’s father said in a statement Friday. “We’d like to process this verdict that we’re happy with.”

Read: Conrad Roy III's Phone Had Apology Messages From Girlfriend Sent After His Suicide

Mike Harkins, a friend of Roy’s from high school, also spoke out about the verdict.

“I think it was a good decision — the right decision,” Harkins told People Friday. “At the end of the day, she has to live with what happened for the rest of her life. I am happy she was found guilty, because you can’t do stuff like that and expect to get away with it.”

During the trial, a suicide note written by Roy to Carter was released, that read: “Keep strong in tough times. You taught me how to be strong and carry on. This life has been too challenging and troublesome to me but I’ll forever be in your heart and we will meet up someday in Heaven. Put your best foot forward. You’ll get there, I’m sorry about everything. I am messed up I guess. I wish I could express my gratitude but I feel brain dead. I love you and greatly appreciate ur effort and kindness towards me. Keep your heart healthy and keep pushing forward.”