An infant and a 2-year-old toddler were alone for days with the corpses of their parents and 14-year-old stepbrother following a triple-homicide, a court in Virginia heard Wednesday.

The bodies of Rachel Ozuna, her boyfriend, Michael Coleman, and her 14-year-old son Kyrrus were found in their home in Spotsylvania County on May 29, 2019, with their throats slit. Following an investigation, five men -- James C. Myers, Hugh Cameron Green, Durward Anthony Allen, Jamal Bailey, and Montel Jaleek Wilson -- were taken into custody and charged with multiple offenses, including three counts of first-degree murder, media outlet the Free Lance-Star reported.

During a preliminary hearing for Allen, Green and Wilson on Wednesday, the investigators said the murder took place three days before the bodies were found. Bodycam footage played in the court showed the toddler standing beside his mother’s corpse in a diaper and the infant daughter strapped to a swinging seat near the corpses. The children were crying and dehydrated. The footage showed the deputy picking the children up and taking them outside the home, the media outlet reported.

A 911 call from the 14-year-old teen’s father was also played in the court. The man, whose name was not revealed, had gone to the residence to check on his son when he made the chilling discovery. He found the teen tied up in the bathroom in a pool of blood, NBC Washington reported.

The investigators also revealed Wednesday the motive behind the killings were drug-related. Investigation revealed Coleman was a drug dealer who used to traffic kilo-sized packages of cocaine and often kept close to $100,000 in his residence. He previously lived in Philadelphia.

The court heard the five men traveled from Philadelphia to Virginia on May 25, and went to Coleman’s home the following afternoon before heading back to Philadelphia. During the investigation, the detectives found a video in one of the men's phones in which he was seen showing a large amount of money, NBC Washington reported.

The judge ruled there was enough evidence to certify the murder charges against the three men. The preliminary hearing for the other two defendants was pending.

crime scene
Representative image Wikimedia Commons