KEY POINTS

  • Veteran broadcaster Jonathan Dimbleby discussed Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah Winfrey and their allegations against the royal family
  • He said he believes they made the "most ghastly error of judgment" when they decided to give the interview
  • The royal biographer said he thinks the Sussexes' allegations of racism were deeply unfair

A friend and biographer of Prince Charles was unimpressed with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's interview with Oprah Winfrey last year.

In an interview with The Times U.K., veteran broadcaster Jonathan Dimbleby, 77, weighed in on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's March 2021 sit-down with Winfrey and the bombshell allegations they made against the royal family after they stepped back from their roles as working royals and moved to California in 2020.

Dimbleby said he believes Prince Harry and Markle made the "most ghastly error of judgment" when they decided to give the interview.

At the time, Markle alleged that a member of the royal family raised concerns about the skin color of her and Prince Harry's then-unborn child. The couple didn't name the royal, with Markle telling Winfrey that she believes "it would be very damaging to them." Prince Harry later clarified that his grandparents Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip were not involved in the alleged conversation.

Dimbleby told The Times that he thinks the Sussexes' allegations were deeply unfair.

"Who the hell was it supposed to be?" the longtime presenter of BBC Radio 4's "Any Questions?" said. "That is the wickedness of it – it allows you to speculate... And why do you make such a smear? I thought that interview was, to put it kindly, the most ghastly error of judgment on their part."

Dimbleby, who wrote "Prince of Wales: A Biography," said he believes Prince Charles would feel "saddened" and "angry" by any suggestion that he was racist.

Dimbleby has become a longstanding friend of Prince William and Prince Harry's father. The 73-year-old royal struck up a relationship with the author after Dimbleby interviewed him on TV back in 1994 regarding his relationship with Camilla Parker Bowles.

GB News presenters Mercy Muroki and Patrick Christys also previously urged Prince Harry and Markle to name the royal who allegedly had conversations about the color of their child's skin, claiming that hiding the name would only subject all members of the royal family to the same condemnation.

"If you are going to lob an allegation out there, and a very serious allegation at that, I think just by standards, you know norms, you should name the culprit," Christys said. "Because, otherwise, you tarnish everyone with the same brush, don't you?"

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex didn't share the details of the alleged discussion, with Prince Harry telling Winfrey: "That conversation I'm never going to share, but at the time, it was awkward; I was a bit shocked."

But after the interview aired, the comments sparked backlash online against the royal family, prompting Prince William to address the accusations during one of his engagements last year.

The royal family "is very much not racist," he was quoted by the BBC as saying.

Buckingham Palace also issued a statement addressing Prince Harry and Meghan's tell-all interview, saying the issues the couple raised, particularly around race, were "concerning."

"The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan," the palace said in the statement, breaking its silence more than 40 hours after the interview first aired in the U.S.

"While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately," the statement added. "Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much-loved family members."

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle NEW YORK, NEW YORK - NOVEMBER 10: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attend the 2021 Salute To Freedom Gala at Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum on November 10, 2021 in New York City. Photo: Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images