Residents of the New Hampshire town where Celina Cass was last seen one week ago are fearing the worst after authorities discovered a female body in the Connecticut River on Monday.

New Hampshire news station WMUR reported Monday that relatives of the 11-year old girl were seen crying outside the West Stewartstown home Celina shares with her mother, sister, and stepfather.

Online commenters to WMUR's latest story about the missing girl expressed concern that the unidentified body may turn out to be Celina, though some are holding out hope that the story will have a positive outcome.

Several comments call attention to the Facebook profile of Celina's stepfather, Wendell Noyes, referring to Noyes as a "creeper" and questioning whether the Cass family was aware of the profile.

The overwhelming majority of Noyes' Facebook "friends" are young women from different parts of the country, some appearing to be amateur models. The page -- which is available for the public to view -- shows that Noyes posted flirtatious comments on some of the girls' profiles as recently as June.

On Monday morning, Celina's stepfather was taken to the hospital via ambulance.

WMUR reported that Wendell Noyes was suffering from "some sort of medical problem" and was taken to Upper Connecticut Valley Hospital after being carried to an ambulance on a stretcher. No further details were given.

In 2003, Noyes was forcibly committed to a hospital with a diagnosis of schizophrenia, ABC News reported. ABC obtained court records showing that Noyes has an arrest record for violating a restraining order and threatening his ex-girlfriend.

Later on Monday morning, WMUR reported that a search crew had zoned in on a section of the river near the Canaan Hydro-Dam, which is close to the New Hampshire border in Vermont. At about 10:45 a.m., New Hampshire Assistant Attorney General Jane Young and other investigators arrived at the scene, and media were asked to leave the area.

By Monday afternoon Essex County state attorney Vincent Illuzzi confirmed that a body had been found, but not identified.

Celina Cass was last seen on the evening of July 25 in her bedroom. WMUR reported that Celina's mother and stepfather told authorities the girl was gone when they went to wake her up the following morning.

The FBI joined the search the missing girl last week, offering a $25,000 reward for information leading to her whereabouts or an arrest in connection with her disappearance.

Authorities increasingly intensified efforts to locate Celina in the week following her disappearance, and residents of West Stewartstown -- which has a population of about 800 -- banded together to assist a frantic search for the schoolgirl, who is described as "shy" and unlikely to have run away.

In addition to the FBI, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police joined the search effort last week, and on Friday the Connecticut River was lowered to aid in a helicopter search for evidence of Celina's whereabouts.

The Cass home is a mile from the Canadian border.

Officials told ABC News on Thursday that the disappearance was still being treated as a missing persons case.

"Every house, every individual in the neighborhood is being spoken to," Young said.

Those who knew Celina believe the girl would not have run away.

"She never went anywhere without her mom or sister," family friend Rebecca Goodrum told the Boston Herald during a candlelight vigil Wednesday night.

"She is very shy," added Kayla Baglio, 18, who also knew the girl. "If she doesn't know you, she'd look at her sister to see if it was OK to talk to you."