Omaha dad gets high
A 53-year-old man from Omaha, Nebraska, accidentally ate brownies spiked with marijuana and didn’t quite enjoy the experience. MARC PISCOTTY/GETTY IMAGES

A 53-year-old man from Omaha, Nebraska, accidentally ate marijuana brownies and didn’t quite enjoy the experience.

The man had finished grocery shopping and was unloading his purchases when he found a box of chocolate brownies in the back of his car. He had earlier loaned the car to one of his adult children. He ate four squares not knowing that they were pot brownies.

The Omaha police were later called to investigate a case of accidental overdose. The man’s wife told the police that he had been behaving strangely. The couple was watching T.V. when the man said he was getting “bad anxiety.”

His wife tried calling her children about the brownies but couldn’t get through to any of them. One of her kids turned up when the police were also in the house and admitted that the brownies belonged to his siblings and that he was “pretty sure it was just marijuana in the brownies.”

Paramedics called to the scene, checked the man’s vital signs and found them to be normal. However, he was crawling on the floor and using profanities, calling the family cat a “b----.” He informed the paramedics that he felt like “he’s trippin’” and refused to visit the hospital.

Nebraska has some of the harshest marijuana laws in the U.S. According to the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, a first-time offender found in possession of an ounce of pot in Omaha can face a $300 fine. A second offence can result in a $500 fine and a $500 fine plus one week in jail for third-time offenders.

Sale of any amount of marijuana is a felony. A first-time offender can face a fine of up to $25,000 and a 20-year prison term.