• The K-9 was being assessed to see if he is fit
  • Bingo was bought for $7,000 by the New York Department of Correction
  • It's been alleged that the department's overtime budget cuts led to the lack of a “kennel master” being on duty round the clock

A police dog from the Department of Correction has died a painful death after consuming soap.

According to the department authorities, the carelessness of a DOC employee costed the life of the canine. The K-9, identified as Bingo, had eaten a soap container while on a walk on Oct. 31, which a DOC employee had apparently left on the ground, reported New York Daily News.

The following day, the staff noticed that the dog was unwell and was foaming in its mouth, reported the media outlet. A veterinarian tried to perform several procedures on him but was unsuccessful and so had to put him to sleep.

“Our K-9 unit is nationally recognized for its excellence and plays a key role in keeping our facilities safe. Bingo was a valued member of our team and we are deeply saddened by this loss,” Deputy Commissioner of Public Information Peter Thorne said.

Meanwhile, sources have claimed to say that the overtime budget cuts on the department led to the lack of a “kennel master” being on duty around the clock. However, the DOC officials have disregarded the claim, saying “regular checks” were performed and that the budget cuts did not affect in any way.

However, an unidentified jail source was quoted as saying, “The department is looking to save money, but in the interim, they spent more by killing the dog and on the vet bill. You should have had 24-hour surveillance on those kennels."

The DOC had purchased Bingo for $7,000. An investigation was on to find out how the soap dish ended up near the kennel.

Bingo was undergoing an assessment period, during which it was observed whether he was fit for duty, officials said. Once any K-9 begins its training, they are taken to homes with an assigned handler.

police dog
A patrol dog is pictured on Sept. 18, 2004 in New York Harbor in New York City. Spencer Platt/Getty Images