A New York Police Department officer was fatally shot during a robbery in Queens on Tuesday. Another detective was also shot and injured in the incident.

The incident took place at 6 p.m. EST near a T-Mobile store near Atlantic Avenue. The officer who died was identified as Brian Simonsen, an 18-year veteran. He was hit in the chest. Sergeant Matthew Gorman, on the other hand, was shot in the leg and suffered life-threatening injuries.

The New York Post reported the gunman was also shot. He was rushed to a hospital and his condition was stable. Another suspect might have been taken into custody during a traffic stop. Police Commissioner James O’Neill said the officers were responded to two 911 calls about an armed robbery. The caller described the suspect as “male armed with a firearm.” The two officers, who in the neighborhood responding to an unrelated incident immediately rushed to the spot. As soon as they entered the store, they saw the suspect coming toward them with a firearm. 

Eyewitnesses said nearly a dozen shots were fired during the incident. Jason Parodi, a witness, said, he ducked behind a tree during the fire exchange.

“I think the suspect shot first. Then the police started opening fire. At least 11 – 12 shots that I heard. Then, out of nowhere, I see mad cop cars coming. They barricaded the whole T-Mobile. They went inside, guns out, they got the suspect out. Actually I think I see one officer, he was shot. He was limping to his car. I was scared, I didn’t know what direction the bullets were coming in so I hid behind that tree by the park,” he said.

During a press conference, O’Neill said it was a "tragic case of friendly fire." "Make no mistake about it, friendly fire aside, it is because of the action of the suspect that Det. Simonsen is dead. The suspect, a 27-year-old resident and career criminal, was shot multiple times …he is listed in stable condition. Recovered by police at the scene was an imitation firearm…This is an absolute tragedy," he said.

This is a developing story.