Three people were killed on Monday after an argument over snow disposal between neighbors turned into a case of murder-suicide.

James Goy, 50, and his wife, Lisa Goy, 48, were shot to death on the street outside their Plains Township home in Pennsylvania just before 9 a.m. The suspected shooter, 47-year-old Jeffrey Spaide, was later found dead in his home from what is believed to be a self-inflicted wound.

A preliminary investigation revealed that the parties involved in the shooting had a long running dispute. However, "this morning, the dispute was exacerbated by a disagreement over snow disposal," District Attorney Stefanie Salavantis said as per ABC News.

The Goys had an argument with Spaide, who lived across the street, over the disposal of snow that had accumulated during the snowstorm last Sunday.

Following the argument, Spaide went into his home, came out with a handgun and opened fire at the couple. When the weapon was empty, he went inside again, exited with an AR-15-type rifle and began firing at the victims again.

According to Salavantis, the suspect "exited his residence and fired upon the couple, killing both husband and wife."

Neighbors reported hearing dozens of gunshots. The responding officers aided the couple but they were unresponsive. The officers then went to check on the suspect to arrest him.

While at the door, the officers heard a single shot. They forced their way in and found the suspect dead.

The Luzerne County Coroner pronounced all the three people dead just before 11:30 a.m. on the same day.

The couple had a 15-year-old son with autism who is now under the care of his grandparents, CBS Pittsburgh reported.

The incident comes months after an elderly man in Pennsylvania fatally shot his son and daughter-in-law before turning the gun on himself. Deputies arrived at the home after receiving reports of a shooting and found 78-year-old Gerald Mihalcik dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Rebecca Evans, 51, was also found dead at the scene. Gerald's son, 56-year-old Stephen Mihalcik, was found alive and was rushed to a nearby hospital where he succumbed to injuries during treatment. The motive behind the crime was not known at the time.

police tape
This image shows a crime scene in Hammond, Indiana, on Dec. 10, 2013. Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images