Dana Ferrari, killed by a New York City subway on NYE
Dana Ferrari was killed by a No. 2 subway train in New York City after a New Year's Eve concert. Facebook

After the highly publicized deaths of two people who were pushed onto subway tracks in December, New York City’s subway system continues to be the focus of sad news. Just hours into the new year, a young woman was killed after an early morning midtown train ran her over.

The first subway casualty of 2013 came when 28-year-old Dana Ferrari was crushed by a No. 2 train at the 34th St. stop at approximately 5:30 a.m. on New Year’s Day. Ferrari travelled to New York from Pennsylvania with her fiancé to celebrate New Year’s Eve at a Phish concert at Madison Square Garden, multiple news reports said. At one point during the concert, her fiancé returned from the bathroom and found her missing, the reports said.

Ferrari was reportedly ejected from the night-long concert. One Phish-head wrote on a fan site that she was “kicked out around 3rd set for smoking a butt.” Her family was not present at the event, and they said they were confused about how she made it to the train station. They told the New York Post, “she definitely wasn’t a drinker,” adding that their last correspondence with her was a “Happy New Year” message sent hours before she was struck by the subway car.

One post on Reddit from an anonymous user, titled “Lost my BFF after Phish and the Disco Biscuits,” claimed the following:

“She was spun and I guess confused the doors to the theater and Penn station,” the post read. “They were right next to each other. She ended up downstairs and wandered onto the tracks and laid down?! And was then hit by a train and died. I just can't wrap my head around it. How did she end up down there. Why did she lay down. I can only guess Xanax and L or some crazy mix like that.”

The young woman and her fiance reportedly were planning to spend the rest of the night at a Marriott Hotel. At the time of her death, she was carrying no identification, only a set of keys and a CVS card registered to her boyfriend, news reports said. The Medical Examiner has yet to determine the specific cause of death and has said “We are doing testing and further investigation."