KEY POINTS

  • The family says snakes were not expected as they live in a city
  • The child was immediately hospitalized but soon died
  • There are over 50 species of snakes in Saudi Arabia

In a tragic incident, a six-year-old girl died in hospital after she was bitten by a deadly snake that slithered into her bathroom. Her family said the victim, Tamara Abdul Rahman, did not see the snake until it bit her. 

The incident happened in the city of Abha in Saudi Arabia last Wednesday, reported Gulf News.  The girl had just returned from school when the incident occurred. 

According to Tamara's father, who does not want to be named, it was rare to spot a snake in their premises as they lived in the city. He said the snake was lurking inside the bathroom. Tamara did not notice the reptile until she got bitten by it. 

The family added that the incident left them scarred and astonished as they never expected a snake in the toilet.

Tamara was first transferred to Asir Central Hospital, where her health condition deteriorated. She was then moved to the Intensive Care Unit where she was pronounced dead a while later.

"She was taken to hospital and was admitted and treated, but fate was not on her side. She died despite receiving medical care after going through difficult health conditions," her father told Gulf News.

Her father added that Tamara had just resumed face-to-face classroom learning after COVID shutdowns. "She was happy to return to in-person learning at her school, but what to say, it is Allah’s wish," he added.

Snakes are common in Saudi Arabia, a desert country, and they mostly come out in the evenings. There are over 50 species of snakes in Saudi Arabia -- including cobras, horned vipers and sea snakes. 

Another incident was reported last month in Saudi Arabia wherein a snake trainer was killed by his cobra during a live stream. The man, a Sudanese descendant, has been training the snake for many years and even conducted performances in a park located in Saudi Arabia’s Asir region. The victim was showing off the snake to his followers on a Facebook live stream when the reptile bit him. He immediately alerted his friends who rushed him to a hospital but couldn't be saved. 

snake Representational image. Photo: Pixabay