- The Indian government's response to a report on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh published Wednesday by the Washington Post has had the local media heatedly debating the validity of the article and India's sensitive reaction to foreign publications finding fault with its leaders.
Morgan Freeman Dead? No, He Joins Eddie Murphy, 50 Cent As The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Death HoaxMorgan Freeman is not dead, despite a report that originated on Facebook earlier this week. A Morgan Freeman impersonator, though, did read aloud from the book "50 Shades of Grey."
- Sportman's Elite, a local sporting goods retailer that sells firearms and hunting equipment in El Paso, Texas, will be giving away a handgun to one of its Facebook fans once the page reaches 300 "likes."
- Amazon unveiled its next-generation Kindle Fire at a press event on Sept. 6 in California alongside a fresh paper-white E-reader. Referred to as the Kindle Fire HD, the device boasts visual upgrades, a faster processor and longer lasting battery than its predecessor.
- Charlotte will become Party Central Thursday night as the 2012 Democratic National Convention ends with President Barack Obama accepting his party's nomination following speeches by Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. John Kerry (D-MA).
Apple iPhone 5 Rumors: AT&T Expands LTE Network, Another Reason The Likely Feature Will Become A RealityOn Thursday, AT&T announced that it will be expanding its 4G LTE coverage to nine new markets in the United States, with 40 more to come before the end of 2012. This news comes as Apple is expected to unveil its rumored iPhone 5 release on Sept. 12, just six days away, according to Apple Insider.
Pre-Market Movers (Nokia, Procter & Gamble, Facebook, Abercrombie, Citigroup, Telefonica, Groupon, ArcelorMittal, ABB)Nokia Corp, Telefonica, ABB Ltd, Procter & Gamble, ArcelorMittal, Facebook, Abercrombie & Fitch, Citigroup and Groupon Inc are among the companies whose shares are moving in pre-market trading Thursday.
- Rumored supply chain issues may have an impact on the release date for the iPhone 5, as it was reported that Sharp Co is behind schedule in producing the device's display. However, this influence may not be a negative one. New analysis has found that constraints have actually had a positive effect on Apple's stock price, reports Apple Insider.
- Michelle Obama struck a cord at the Democratic National Convention (DNC) Tuesday night in Charlotte. The First Lady, or "FLOTUS," stood at the podium and shared a heartwarming story about her family, her husband's past, their shared values, and their dream to build a better country based on those values. The reaction from her convention speech helped DNC explode past the RNC in social spheres like Twitter, YouTube and Facebook.
- A firewall set up late Tuesday by Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social networking site, appears to be holding: shares rose 45 cents to $18.17 in early Wednesday after CEO Mark Zuckerberg promised not to sell any more shares for at least a year.
- Facebook's (FB) stock continued to witness swinging fortunes as its prices hit an all-time low of $17.55 Tuesday before closing at $17.72, almost 1.82 percent lower than the previous close. Amidst the fluctuating fortunes, CEO Mark Zuckerberg declared that he would not sell any shares at least for another one year.
Pre-Market Movers (Pluristem, Facebook, ARM Holdings, BP plc, Netflix, Nokia, Francesca's, Alcatel, Capital One, Lennar)Pluristem Therapeutics, Facebook Inc, ARM Holdings Plc, Francesca's Holdings Corp, BP Plc, Nokia Corp, Alcatel Lucent SA, Capital One Financial Corp, Netflix and Lennar Corp. are among the companies whose shares are moving in pre-market trading Wednesday.
Top After-Market Nasdaq Movers (Wendy's, Santarus, Sarepta, Glu, Facebook, FEI, Education Management, ONYX, Bloomin' Brands, Francesca's Holdings)The top after-market Nasdaq gainers Tuesday were Wendy's Company, Santarus Inc, Sarepta Therapeutics Inc, Glu Mobile Inc and Facebook.
- Elderly actress Betty White has been requested via petition to show support for President Obama at the upcoming 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C.. Already confirmed for the DNC is Kal Penn, who will be hosting the political event.
- Shares of Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social networking site, went into a freefall Tuesday, plunging about 2.5 percent to keep setting new lows. After falling as low as $17.58 in late morning, they recovered slightly to $17.63, down 43 cents, after the first two hours of trading.
- After slaughtering countless green piggies in the quest to secure the stolen eggs, the birds of Rovio’s smash hit (no pun intended) “Angry Birds” will be taking a back seat to the pigs this time around with the game’s sequel.
- The two-day Made In America Festival got off to a rocking start at the Philadelphia Museum of Art as Jay Z entered the stage bouncing up and down, mimicking artist Rocky Balboa, with whom he shares a rag to riches story.
Miss World 2012: How Miss China, Host City Ordos Court Controversy With Fame; Top 4 Miss World ControversiesEver since Miss China Wenxia Yu was crowned Miss World Aug.18, she has come under flak for jury favoritism. Even the host city Ordos is not spared as reports of economic woes and subtle attempts to refurbish its image surface amid its ongoing attempts to win international recognition.
- Shortly after Demonoid was removed from the Internet, the popular site uTorrent announced it would begin to sell advertisements on its service, signaling to the Motion Picture Association of America and Recording Industry Association of America that the battle against online piracy will only get tougher.
- By now everyone has heard about Hollywood legend Clint Eastwood's faux Q&A session with an empty chair at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., on Thursday night. Taking the exchange at face value, here are five reasons why the furniture debate proved ineffective.