• The teen went cliff jumping at Woodland Park in New Jersey on Saturday
  • The body was discovered by a scuba team "within the vicinity" of where he was last seen
  • The officials are trying to determine the exact cause of the teen's death

A 15-year-old boy from New Jersey has been found dead a day after he went missing while cliff jumping with his friends in an off-limits reservoir.

The unidentified teenager from Paterson went cliff jumping in Woodland Park on Saturday. His body was discovered by a scuba team "within the vicinity" of where he was last seen, the Passaic County Sheriff's office said in a news release Monday.

"The incident began on Saturday and concluded today with the recovery of a 15-year-old boy who drowned," Sheriff Richard Berdnik said. "These Heroes worked tirelessly in the heat on land, water, and in the sky for 2 solid days. Our scuba divers recovered the victim. Although the outcome was not what we all hoped for, at least closure will be given to the family."

The officials had previously told news outlet that the teen disappeared while he went swimming with his friends in the reservoir area where swimming was prohibited.

However, the teen's friends later told the emergency officers that they were "cliff jumping" when the boy jumped into the water but was unable to swim. Although the friends attempted to rescue the boy, they were "pulled down and were unable to secure the victim," Woodland Park police Capt. Michael Brady said.

Woodland Park Mayor Keith Kazmark said the boy's identity was not disclosed "out of respect for the family."

"This is a tragic day. The family's upset, understandably so...At this point, we have to respect their privacy and this period of mourning for them. Our thoughts and prayers go out to them at this very difficult time," the mayor said.

The officials have started an investigation to determine the exact cause of the teen's death.

Representation. Police lights. tevenet/Pixabay

Last month, a mother and her toddler daughter were rescued in Ohio after they were caught in a strong current in the Cuyahoga River at Franklin Mills Riveredge Park in Kent. The mother jumped into the river after her child slipped and fell into the water. They were both rescued by a man who was kayaking in the river.