• Janae Hairston, 16, was fatally shot Wednesday
  • Hairston succumbed to injuries an hour after she was rushed to hospital
  • Police have not made any arrests and no charges have been filed yet

An Ohio teen girl was shot to death by her father in the garage at their home after he mistook her for an intruder, according to a 911 call record.

Janae Hairston, 16, died Wednesday after her father opened fire on her shortly before 4.30 a.m. while she was inside the garage at their home on Piper Bend Drive, Columbus. Hairston was rushed to a hospital but succumbed to her injuries, NBC News reported.

Hairston's mother told the 911 dispatcher that her husband accidentally shot her daughter thinking she was an intruder breaking into their home. "My husband made a mistake and shot her because he thought she was an intruder," Hairston's mother said in the 911 call.

"She was in our garage and my husband just didn’t know what was going on. Oh my God," the woman frantically said on the call, the news outlet reported citing the call record they obtained.

During the 8-minute long emergency call, the mother told the officer that she thinks her daughter was shot in her chest. The father, whose identity was not revealed, could be heard pleading in the background “breathe baby." Both the parents could also be heard asking Hairston what she was doing in the garage.

Help arrived at the scene six minutes after the call was made and the girl was taken to Columbus hospital where she died an hour later.

The cops have not made any arrests and no charges have been filed as of yet, New York Post reported.

police-car-2946429_1920 (2)
Representation. Pixabay

Earlier this week, a North Carolina police officer accidentally shot his 15-year-old son in the head, leaving the boy seriously injured, according to Onslow County Sheriff’s Office. The unidentified teen was hospitalized with a life-threatening injury Monday and remained in critical condition as of Wednesday. The boy's father, identified as an officer who works with Jacksonville Police Department, was not charged in the case. The boy's father was placed on administrative leave and the Jacksonville Police Department said they were cooperating with investigations conducted by the Sheriff's Office.