Two construction workers died at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York on Monday after getting trapped under construction rubble following a trench collapse.

The incident took place at around 11.08 a.m., according to officials with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the airport. Upon arrival at the scene, the Port Authority police found the workers have been trapped in the 30-foot trench for more than an hour, CBS New York reported.

Even as emergency workers attempted to rescue the workers, they couldn't be saved and were pronounced dead when pulled out from the trench. As many as 60 firefighters with 12 units from Port Authority Police Department's Emergency Services Unit, FDNY and EMS responded to the scene.

The Port Authority identified the deceased workers as Francisco Reyes, 41, and Fernando Lagunas Pereira, 28, according to the New York Times.

While specific details about the incidents that led to the accident remain unclear, the workers were reportedly moving utility lines within the vicinity of a cogeneration plant when the collapse occurred over the trench.

The ongoing construction is taking place as part of an $18 billion improvement project at the airport that includes development of two new terminals and expansion of two existing ones, a Port Authority spokeswoman told the outlet.

Meanwhile, the Port Authority has issued a stop order for all construction activities at the airport in the wake of the accident.

The airport warned passengers regarding traffic delays in the area due to recovery efforts underway near Terminals 5 and 7. However, no flights were impacted due to the incident, authorities confirmed.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul took to Twitter to express her condolences to the families of the deceased workers.

The Port Authority launched an investigation into the cause behind the accident, adding that it would cooperate with any inquiries by other agencies.

"The Port Authority is conducting a thorough investigation and will be cooperating with all other investigative agencies," the JFK Airport said.

City Council Speaker Adrienne Adams and Transportation and Infrastructure Chair Selvena N. Brooks-Powers issued a joint statement Monday, noting this incident marked the third workplace fatality to take place at the airport in the last month.

"JFK Airport is not just a gateway to New York City, but also an essential part of our Southeast Queens community," the statement said, according to Gothamist. "Residents, workers, and visitors alike deserve to be safe—and that must include the essential workers who contribute to the daily activity and success of the airport and surrounding communities."

More than 20 construction workers in New York City were killed in work-related accidents last year, according to federal data from the Occupational Health and Safety Administration.

As the construction industry continued to face safety issues, a new law came into effect in January, according to which companies found guilty of criminal negligence that caused an injury or death of an employee could face up to $500,000 in penalties.

American Airlines planes are seen at the tarmac of JFK International Airport in New York