A man from Tennessee has been arrested after shooting his 8-month-old daughter in the head during a heated argument with the child's mother.

Columbia police rushed to a parking lot of Hallmark Apartments after receiving reports of a shooting on Saturday afternoon, reported news outlet WGME.

Investigation revealed that the father, identified as 21-year-old Kobia Eugene Lloyd, and the mother of his children had gotten into a heated argument in the parking lot of their apartment, during which the accused pulled out a gun and shot into a car with the mother and their children inside.

The bullet struck the baby in the head. The infant was rushed to Maury Regional Medical Center and was later transferred to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, where the baby is currently undergoing treatment. The infant is reported to be in critical condition.

The mother and the other two children in the car, aged 2 and 1, were not injured in the incident.

The accused, who fled the scene after the shooting, was traced and taken into custody on Wednesday, police said. He was charged with multiple offenses, including attempted first-degree murder, felony reckless endangerment and aggravated child endangerment, said a report by WVLT-TV.

He remained in prison as of Thursday and details regarding his bail plea were not known. What sparked the argument between the child's parents remains unknown.

In a similar incident last year, a man from the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu killed his daughter and attempted to strangle his son after a heated argument with his wife. The accused got into a disagreement with his spouse over money, following which the woman left home.

The wife later received a call from their neighbors saying that her 6-year-old son had been found lying unconscious outside the home with a rope tied around his neck and that their door was locked from the outside. The neighbors then broke open their home's back door and found the 3-year-old daughter in the water tank. The girl was declared dead on the spot while the boy was rushed to the hospital in a critical condition.

Representational image Pixabay