An Illinois girl was hospitalized after she accidentally swallowed small magnetic toys brought to school by a classmate, WGN reported Wednesday.

Halina Adams, 11, of Evanston, ingested a toy called BuckyBalls, pea-sized magnetic balls that come 100 to a box. The toy was reportedly banned in 2012 after children became ill from consuming it. The company, however, won a lawsuit in 2016, which reinstated the toy.

Halina accidentally swallowed several pieces of the toy Dec. 14., brought in by her 6th-grade classmate.

"She put them on her lips, one on either side," Halina’s father Aaron Adams told WGN. The toy detached and went to the "back to her throat and she swallowed."

She was then transported to Evanston Hospital where Dr. Vincent Biank conducted tests. He discovered that two of the magnetic spheres were lodged in the child’s intestine. The magnetic balls can disturb the body and bond two pieces of tissue together, posing potentially serious health problems.

"This a medical emergency," Dr. Biank said. "If you perforate the GI track you can get very sick very fast. It would kind of be like a perforated appendix. You can get incredibly ill, almost life-threatening ill."

Halina remained in the hospital for five days where she underwent three colonoscopies to dislodge the balls.

"Since this happened, I’ve heard from a number of friends and parents, ‘My kid has them had no idea. I got my kid this for Christmas. And now we’re taking it out from under the tree,'" Adams said.

Craig Zucker started Bucky Balls in 2009 but later faced concern from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) regarding possible safety risks.

"Specifically, if two or more magnets are ingested—a temptation to which children are especially at risk—they can cause serious damage to intestinal tissue that becomes tightly clamped between them," the commission said in a statement.